virtual address

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
Can someone please tell me what area of virtual address space is reserved for the core operating system components?

TIA

This?

virtual-memory.png

brady, what area of virtual address space is reserved for the core operating system components? In other words how much space it takes whether its kb or mb or gb please.

EDITED :

Sorry man, I read it wrong. I thought you were askin "where" it was allocated to... My bad.

NT allocates 4GB of address space for each application with 2GBs reserved for the operating system and 2GBs reserved for the application. Windows 2000 and NT4 SP3 or later allow you to change the 2/2 split to 1GB for the operating system and 3 GBs for the application. This would obviously benefit SQL server or Oracle databases. If you have a large amount of memory and an application that can benefit from changing the 2/2 default, you add the parm /3GB to boot options lines in BOOT.INI.

my bad...i should of said on win 9x machine, sorry what would it be for that please. Oh, and thanks a lot for your help. would it be 0-1 mb or 1-2MB. I assume 1-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom