C2D 6300, or X2 3800+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
I'm kind of lost! Which should I get? Hard to find reviews for 6300, it seems everybody's WAY too obsessed about the E6600 and E6700 to even bother mentioning the E6300!

Since they pretty much cost the same, which one should I get? And what mobo would be good for overclocking the 6300?

there was a chart here with the e 6300.. and if i remember right, imay have done better than the 4400... definitely go 36300 if your willing to buy the new mobo and ram for it

I have to buy a new mobo, and possible RAM anyway, I'm still running a socket A system. Are there any good overclocking mobos out for the Conroes?

With the Conroe your going to run into not much of a choice right now... and that choice is gonna cost you... personally I would recommend an S939 or AM2 build then see what is going on later on after the Conroe makes (or breaks) it make on the world... see what kind of boards, fans, etc... start getting made for it... By then some of the prices will also have dropped.

yes.. i would suggest the same.. if your not really too hungry on super high performance.. stick to amd, grab a 3800x2 and some ddr 500 ram.. they've both gotten fairly cheap

The E6300 is clearly the better core and the only C2D worth considering IMO considering you won't notice a particular difference with a large unified cache nor will the E6300 be "slow" by any standards. However, now is still not the time to buy it. Anandtech did a review on C2D boards a few weeks ago and they were maxing out around 400FSB

Considering E6300 has a locked 7x multi, you're looking at a max overclock of 400*7 or 2.8GHz. Not to say this is bad by any standard, but most C2Ds I suspect would go much further than that, and it would suck to have a board that is limiting your overclock simply because it does not support higher FSB speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom