Celeron Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldb88

Solid State Member
I am looking at purchasing a Celeron D 2.4 Ghz processor and was wondering how it compared to other processors at 2.4 Ghz.

1. I know that a Pentium 4 at 2.4 Ghz is not as fast as one of AMD's processors at 2.8 Ghz. Where does the Celeron fit into all that?

2. Also, the one I am looking at buying only has a 256 KB L2 Cache :(. Will this make a big difference?

3. Celeron D means a dual core processor, correct? Like Pentium D means? Is the faster multitasking capability comparable to a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz vs. a Pentium D 2.4 Ghz?

4. I am currently running a Celeron 1.8Ghz (not D); would the $40 be worth spending to upgrade? Thanks.

All i no is Celerons do not handle games that well, i use to have an intel celeron 1.7@2.05ghz and it did nfsmw but not well at all.

celeron d does NOT mean dual core howver pentium d does mean dual core. I would not buy a celeron ..infact i wouldnt buy an intel proccesser at all ...amd for me!... but if you really want an intel go for a pentium d ( dual core) NOT A CELERON :)

Celeron's are cheap processors, which is why most companies like HP, Dell, and Acer use them. They are not very useful for gaming. My Celeron i use is Celeron D 2.6 Ghz. It doesn't play anything. Older games lag on it.

If you can afford it, i would recommend a Pentium 4. A Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz would outperform a Celeron 2.4 Ghz. And a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz would outperform a Celeron 2.8, etc.

Celeron's are way slower than Pentium 4's, click this to see why:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2004.html?modelx=33&model1=44&model2=33&chart=26

I was wondering when you'd show up talldude.. I was about to post 'round about the same thing you just said...

I have a 2.8 Cele that I use strictly for TF folding and when I do a virus/spyware scan at the same time... it shows... I will second talldude... go with a P4 chip.

Honestly, i used to love Celerons, but mine is starting to fry.

Stay away from Celerons, unless you're running a web server or TF folder.

Even a used P4 will get you some good power for games.

As far as I can tell, Celeron D's are just Celerons with Prescott and Cedar Mill cores. A Celeron D CPU at 2.4 Ghz is pretty much the cheapest modern processor that you can buy. Any Pentium processor would be much better.

Celeron D just means higher FSB and cache. Intel just named it "D" for Desktop, i'm pretty sure. Because they have Celeron "M" in laptops, which is "mobile".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom