Trying to buy a decent gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proximos

Baseband Member
I'm trying to find/buy a computer that is decent for gaming. I came across this computer and it doesn't seem too bad. However, i had a few questions about it.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10072977&catid=

I'm trying to keep the price at $1000. So i was thinking of adding a new video card and adding another half a gig of ram. My question is, it says that the video card is nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU With Up To 128MB Of Shared Video Memory. I heard that shared memory is bad, can anyone tell me how it works.
It also says that there is an open PCI express slot. However, it doesn't mention that the video card is integrated, so does that mean it supports SLI or did they just make a mistake.
I was planning to get this video card, http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2207285&Sku=E145-7858.
If anyone has better suggestions about another video card, please let me know, but remember, it has to be $250 at most.
Anyways, in general, if i was to add the video card and another half a gig of ram, would this computer be good for gaming?
Thanks in advance.

Newegg.com FTW. However I think they do not send out to Canada, but I may be mistaken. Umm, does Tigerdirect send out to you guys?

Basically you can build a system for 1000 ALOT better than anything you can get prebuilt. My system in my sig costed around 1,280 when all was said and done, and when I priced it out on alienware or cyberpower, I saved myself a good 1000 or so.

Which of the following RAM type is the best? DDR RAM, Dual Channel DDR, Overclocking DDR, or Oveclocking Dual Channel?

Proximos said:
Which of the following RAM type is the best? DDR RAM, Dual Channel DDR, Overclocking DDR, or Oveclocking Dual Channel?

lol ok slow down :)

They are all teminologys.

DDR ram stands for Double Data rate. But then came along DDR2, the sucsessor of ddr.

DDR2 is mainly much higher bandwiths and speeds of course.

DDR is Used on almost all AMD CPU's. The new AM2 uses DDR2.

DD2, Is used on all 775 P4's and all the Intels. Im not sure about the older intels as Im not knowledgable about them as some of the others...

Now when they say Overclocking ram, they mean its capable of high speeds, so it can keep up with the CPU.

example.

CPU FSB (290) X Multiplyier (10) =2.9 GHz wich is say is your max potential overclock.

Now if you ram only does 260 MHz then that means its not fast enough to catch up.

So you would then have to set aside the 1:1 Ratio and turn to your freind, the divider.:)

Now you can speed you ram with higher voltages. This is where Good OC ram comes in and not so good.

You can get some really good Mushkin ram that does 3.0 voltage :amazed: or, Where are you get cheap PC3200, Your lucky if you can get 220 MHz

But if you get some nice OCZ Platnium DDR500 that can do 260 270mhz and above.

In terms of performance there isnt a huge diffrence between high performance ram and cheap ram....as long as they supply the same amount of physical ram then they should seem the same. Some apps like Super PI, Fast ram helps and such.

I would get into timings and such but I think I got you covered :)

EDIT: Stick with dual channel :D

lol ok slow down

They are all teminologys.

DDR ram stands for Double Data ram. But then came along DDR2, the sucsessor of ddr.

DDR2 is mainly much higher bandwiths and speeds of course.

DDR is Used on almost all AMD CPU's. The new AM2 uses DDR2.

DD2, Is used on all 775 P4's and all the Intels. Im not sure about the older intels as Im not knowledgable about them as some of the others...

Now when they say Overclocking ram, they mean its capable of high speeds, so it can keep up with the CPU.

example.

CPU FSB (290) X Multiplyer (10) =2.9 GHz wich is say is your max potential overclock.

Now if you ram only does 260 MHz then that means its not fat enough to catch up.

So you would then have to set aside the 1:1 Ration and turn to your freind, the divider.

Now you can speed you ram with higher voltages. This is where Good OC ram comes in and not so good.

You can get some really good Mushkin ram that does 3.0Voltage or, Where are you get cheap PC3200, Your lucky if you can get 220 MHz

But if you get some nice OCZ Platnium DDR500 that can do 260 270mhz and above.

In terms of performance there isnt a huge diffrence between high performance ram and cheap ram....as long as they supply the same amount of physical ram then they should seem the same. Some apps like Super PI, Fast ram helps and such.

I would get into timings and such but I think I got you covered

Very nice!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom