Helppp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattizzle

Solid State Member
Hi there. I have a packard bell laptop and have been having some porblems with it over the past 6 months. When booting up there was a loud buzzing noise (only to be described as if a wasp was stuck inside), I sent it off to be repaired numerous times as they couldn't find the fault. They have replaced the fan, hard drive TWICE, and the mother board. Each seperate time they replaced the hard drive the problem stopped for a while, but it always comes back! Now 3 months or so after having the hard drive and mother board replaced, yep the noise is back again. I believe the problem is due to over heating as the noise is starting to come after prolonged periods of use. I'm going to send it back to them again to fix, but does this sound familiar to anyone or does anybody have any advice?
One other thing, i am starting to get problems with my screen, every now and again i see slight glitches running across it. Whats that all about? Screen on the way out too? Would be grateful for any insight regarding the 2 issues. Cheers, Matt

well sounds like you were right when you guessed overheating, the glitches sound like an overheating graphics processor. it may well be a noise from a fan as tech support rarely know their posterior from a hole in the ground. buzzing sounds can be caused by some electrical components (mainly tranformers in my experience) so it could be the laptops internal power supply that is making the sound. it is most likely from a moving part though such as the hdd or a fan. seeing as you say after replacing the hdd the sound goes away for a while i guess that may be the cause but unless you are operating your laptop outside of normal conditions the fact that the problem redeveloped doesn't seem to fit

Ask for the power supply and battery to be replaced, that is also a possibility.

Or you can ask for a brand new replacement.

statutory rights
However, since the 31st March 2003, the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations give you parallel or alternate rights. Instead of a refund, you may choose to ask for a replacement or a repair. Goods which do not conform to the contract within the six months after they were delivered are presumed to have been faulty when you got them. In these cases, you do not have to prove the fault was present when the goods were sold. Instead, the trader must prove that the fault was not present when the goods were sold. The burden of proof is on the trader.

Well after the computer has been on for some time, its shown some new symptoms with like a faint buzzing noise - and if i was to pick the laptop up then put it on the table with a slight bang, then the major buzzing noise starts. So it kind of makes sense what you're saying about something being loose.

But the thing is, theyve had it to repair 4/5 time now. The new fan didnt do anything, a new hard drive worked for about 1 month, then they replaced the hard drive a second time along with the mother board......and it's started again. Is there much more for them to replace?!

buzzing sounds can be caused by some electrical components (mainly tranformers in my experience) so it could be the laptops internal power supply that is making the sound.

that would be something they wouldn't often check. it could be caused by the laptop reaching a particular level of current draw (i'm probably reaching for an explaination here :p) and the current draw of any pc does increase VERY slightly between maintenance due to various factors like overheating from perhaps a buildup of dust and other such things. like i said i am reaching but it could just so happen that it is enough to set it off buzzing

The previous times i have had this buzzing problem it ALWAYS came upon boot up in the mornings, but now that's not the case - it just happens when it wants to. Due to this reason I am reluctant to send it off to them, because theyre going to turn it on and just say 'uhh we can't hear anything'. Or am I wrong? If they opened the thing up would they see the problem, or would they need to hear it first?

most likely they would need to hear it. like i said they probably won't actually find the cause unless you take it to a local repairman. the general warranty repairman would basically use a diagnostic flowchart and then conclude that it was either a fan or a hdd, throw money at it and replace those components which is kind of infuriating. if they actually bothered it probably wouldn't be that hard to find out for certain

Well ive arranged for them to pick it up monday, this will be like the 6th time. I'm hoping they just write it off if i persistantly keep on to them. If all else fails yeh i agree, i'll take it to a local guy where i can explain to him properly what the problem is.

personally i think you should try and get a replacement. even if it is outside the 6 month period Triffid mentioned i think internationally there is something known as "implied warranty". essentially if you get sold something that seems to be a totally unreliable piece of crap then you should be entitled to a replacement within 12 months.

I think I should be entitled to a replacement to, but they think otherwise. I sent them a letter tellin them all the shite they have done to my machine, and requested a new 1. But they declined saying I haven't given them sufficent time to fix it! The only way they will replace it is if the repair takes longer than 6 weeks, or the technicians deem it un-repairable.

So basically they'll be quite happy to keep replacing things until i get fed up of complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom