AGP with AMD Dual Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollingStoned

Solid State Member
What is the best AMD X2 board that supports AGP? Opinions? I have a Radeon 9800 pro that I can't afford to upgrade to PCI from.

pretty much all s939 boards support the athlon X2 although you may need a BIOS update. are you sure you couldn't just say buy a budget card like the 7300gs, 6200 or x1300. that way you could upgrade to pci-e (not pci in case you are confused, pci is something very different and would not be an upgrade at all). if you bought a budget card and upgraded another time you would probably be better off in the long run.

Yeah, I'm pretty broke right now, but my motherboard just burned out... anddd AMD prices just came down, so I'm deciding to upgrade my CPU along with my MB. Problem is, I can't afford to upgrade anything else right now, so I really need a board that supports AGP that is good.

sorry i can't really help you with that :( at least not without looking them up in which case you may as well do that yourself. well i'll tell you what i would do myself and i guess it is up to you. personally i know in your situation i would try and live without a pc long enough to get the motherboard and graphics card and i would probably try and sell some old stuff i didn't use anymore. but that is just me and i am known to be quite strange as humans go ;). i think the Lanparty NF3 Ultra-D is supposed to be really good and basically about the next best thing to an NF4 LanParty.

Well thank you!!! Am I part of the club now??? :D

But the board gave me no problems. I really didsn't go nuts with it though trying to killi it OCing... The other one I have worked with was the GA-8IPE1000PRO-G that wasn't bad either... Real easy setup and bios settings...

Just updating my situation, I think I've settled on the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. It's one of the most highly reviewed boards on newegg, and I can usually trust newegg user reviews to be accurate. Now, the only thing is, they've released the 939Dual-VSTA, which supposedly gives enchanced OC options and better onboard sound. It makes me think this board is going to come down in price, and I should wait... or should I buy the new one... UGHHHH I hate being poor. lol

nitestick said:
well i can sympathise and from experience my opinion is get the very best you can, it will last longer between upgrades.

Do you think the dual core 4200(1MB cache) or 4000(2MB cache) would be a big step up from a 3800(1MB cache) dual core? One that justifies $30USD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom