AMD2 vs Pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitz

Beta member
Hi guys, I'm really quite bad when it comes to computers. Like i know the basics of ram hdd and stuff, but i have absolutely no clue about video cards mobo's ect ect.

My current computer is a p3 733mhz which i got like 7 years ago lol it can barely run the programs that i require for school work, so i thought its time i should upgrade.

I currently have 2 packages I'm considering.

a pentium package
http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/P3.pdf

and an AMD package
http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/Amdgame-3.pdf

i plan to mainly use this computer for uni work, i use programs such as maya, photoshop, after effects ect at uni and want a decent proccessor to handel these programs with ease. i also plan to use this computer for maybe a bit of gaming, i'm not really after a computer to run the latest games at the best resolution and best settings, but one thats sufficient enough to run them.

I was after some advice to which system i should get for my requirements,
AMD AM2-940 x2 Dual Core 4600+
or
Intel Dual Core 3400 CPU

Also was wondering if the video card that comes with it (256MB Nvidia GF 7300GS 3D PCI-E) is good enough for my requiments, if not which one should i upgrade to.

thanks in advance for any answers! :)

the two links in pdf were hard to understand...

but, b/w the 4600+ and the pentium, the AMD is much much better.

the 7300gs is okay if you don't do any gaming.. but since you do, even light gaming, i don't recommend it. i can see you're from aussy, and prices there are considerably more expensive than the US.. but try to see if you can get either 6600gt, x1600pro, x1600xt, or a 7600gt. those would be good for low-mid range gaming.

building your own computer is the best option... i recommend you consider it.

here's a good guide i recently came across..
http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2

you should also know that intel is releasing a new cpu called "core 2 duo" or more commonly known as conroe.. this is supposed to be very very good. if you wait a few days, maybe you'll see it in stores in australia.. i believe its coming out in the US tomorrow.. (or today...)

last i heard Intel are being their usual nice selves and have slapped a legal block on any store in Australia selling a Conroe before august 4th. we have stock i think, but they will punish anyone who uses it with death ;). being from Australia i would say from a budget perspective you will be better off getting a 7600gt if you buy the card new because the saving you will make on a new 6600gt isn't justified against the performance gain of a 7600gt. to check Australian prices for parts go to StaticIce

im from australia and i no wat the prices r like her
SHOCKING
anyways i have a 7300GS and i find it fine with most games as long as you dont run them at high resolutions

dont quote me

no offence but i think the only reason to buy one of the budget cards like a 6200 or 7300 (i used to have a 6200) is if you MUST buy a graphics card ASAP that can play games. they are relatively useless but will still run decent games. i only bought a 6200 because by some miracle i had exactly enough money, down to the very cent after buying my other components on the budget i had. i didn't save because i did not have enough of an income at the time to make that worth the effort.

thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated.

i think i will stick with the 7600GT, it will most likely be better in the long run :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom