:Must get Modern:

Status
Not open for further replies.

faek

Baseband Member
Ahh, finally. The time comes when I earn enough $$ to get up to date with my machine. What first started as an upgrade evolved into me building a new pc, salvaging minimal parts from my old machine.

So, here I am, looking to spend around the $1000 range on new parts that include:

--CPU
--Motherboard
--RAM [hopefully 2gb]
--Sound Card [must have MIDI!]
--Monitor [20.1" or 21" widescreen... $400 range]

I know there's hundreds of people in here that love to give advice in these situations, so have at it! I keep up with the technology decently enough, but it's been a while since my last build [2002-2003] so I'm betting I can learn some pretty good info from the sages here.

For the record, I'm not a huge gamer, but need a powerful enough PC for all the graphics I work with, not to mention all the music related apps, and some video editing. I'm leaning towards AMD but haven't signed any contracts yet. Oh and I don't think I need to enter the dual core realm just yet..

Just looking for some advice from those that keep up with this technology daily. Watching Lain sure makes you want to go all out when building a computer.. thanks guys.

dual cores are getting cheaper... you should definitely get a dual core! its no longer the future.. its for today!

i'll let someone else pick the parts....

Cheaper eh? I hear the prices are going down.. something like this week actually. I will if it's not too excessive of an upgrade. I do multitask a lot so dual cores do peak my interest, i'm just in the middle of deciding. I'm imagining spending about $200 for the mobo, ram, processor and sound card each but If I go dual core, that'll change a bit. Still trying to find a widescreen with the least amount of problems/variables... seems the technology hasn't leveled out yet, stability-wise. Bah, just better keep reasearchin-

If you pay $400 for the monitor, you'll only have about $600 left for the actual computer. If you are considering AMD, try an Athlon 3800 to 4200+ with a motherboard from ASUS, Abit, or DFI. I prefer video cards with nVidia chipsets, but, ATI isn't much different. And, definately try not to spend too much on a case. If you're looking for a good online store, try NewEgg or Tiger Direct.

since you are going to spend $ 400 on a monitor, i suggest that you get two Samsung 740N which is about $176 each on newegg instead of a 21" monitor. You can use the dual monitor feature and get a total of 34" insted of 21". also, since you're not gaming much with it, dual displays really help with editing.

lol you can't just add 19 inches together...

you gotta use the ratio of 5:4 and the diagonal 19 to figure out the sides, then add up the 2 monitors widths/height.. then use pythagorus to figure out the new diagonal!

I know i'll go over my $1000 quote, but keeping keeping that number in mind helps me not go abusrdly past it.

My last machine was from newegg and googlegear.. I think i'll use newegg for anything i'll save big on, but probably go to fry's for anything that's similarly priced.

Interesting note about the split screen. I'll research it, but the plastic strip between the monitors would get in the way a lot for it's intention: being able to accurately view the graphics i'm working on in a correct scale. I can see past it, but in this field, it's not a variable you want to have.

And I think I will salvage my old video card; at least it's the last priority on my list because it can handle anything I throw at it so far. I'd rather put my current budget into the other categories mentioned, tho am prepared for a video upgrade by the end of the year...

Thanks guys

if your old video card is AGP you won't be able to use it; or you'll be limiting yourself to some crappy motherboards. (and old sockets)

Oh man, now i'm considering rack mounting. Anybody have any experience with this? I don't have anything huge, but would like my pc and mixer in it for now. I've searched for threads on this, but was just looking for more info.. anyone know if it's tricky to mount a mixer on the top of the rack?

CPU + MOBO

ok, i'm taking forever here, but these are lookin good:

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103747

MOBO
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131013

What's started as an upgrade is turning into a new pc [oh darn :D ]. I'll salvage the old case, unless I find a nice rackmount option. May add an internal Seagate [approx 200-300GB] since they're so affordable now. Keeping my optical drives, and probably should invest in a new Psu since mine's about 300W. Still not sure what to do about ram here.. I hear performance wise name brand is almost equal to noname, but if overclocking, she go with the good stuff. Haven't researched too much into overclocking yet. Any suggestions/additions to this rig? Oh, and will probably need a videocard as well. BAM there goes the budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom