How to properly package a whole PC for sale via an internet sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

In Runtime
I'm just wondering, if I do sell my current PC and it happens to be to a person who lives far away, how would I go about packaging it and all? I have just about all the boxes and plastic cartridges for memory, CPU, etc; but what else is there to consider? It seems like shipping would cost so much that it might make the low selling price (which I intend to make since I only intend to recover some cash), well, not as appealing as it should....

My entire PC weighs a ton.... just the thermaltake case itself is over thirty pounds!!

Has anyone everyone done something like this?

I'm doing it now... and yes it's gonna cost. No way around that. but the person I'm selling one of mine too is a builder, so I'm leaving out the cards, and packing them in the case... everything else will be secure enough... and I'm shipping it in an old case box I still have with the styrofoam inserts... makes life easy. if not then plenty of bubblewrap.

Usually i pack it in the original case with styrofoam then pack it in a bigger box. Never leave an aftermarket heatsink on it and make sure everything is in place. Shipping for me never gets above $50

Epikz, did you mean you need to take the heatsink off of the CPU? Or what did you mean by "never leave an aftermarket heatsink on it"

Well, more specifically:

1) How do you get an estimated cost? The only answer I have is to pack everything up and bring it to like a UPS store and ask for a few locations.

2) What cleaning methods can be used to give it a new shine look? No matter how good your air filters are there will be some dust and crap. No PC components stay pretty forever.

3) What do you do if you don't have the original casing or anti-static bag? Can you buy some at a store that won't rip you off?

Thank you for replies :no:

frys electronics sells anti-static bags for aroune 1.99$ for like 20 bags that would fit a video card.

u can change the air filters, wipe off all the dust, then use those air dusters that u get from office depot to clean off dust in tight areas.

Why would you take off the heatsink, is it dangerous while being shipped? And you didn't mention take out the video card or anything, are they mounted in there all right?

I use USPS.com for my shipping calculator. but UPS.com works for you I guess...

I clean it as best I can with dust off and q-tips, etc... but it's used... Shouldn't the person buying expect a little wear? If they wanted new, they should have bought new. and static bags are not necessarily needed if your packing it up good... I use the bubble wrap if I don't have the bags. Oh and if you have the HSF on securely you don't have to take it off... but that's my opinion.

well sometimes aftermarket heatsinks are fairly heavy and they can fall off very easily. if your computer (already packaged) was dropped from 1 inch of the ground the aftermarket heatsinks that are heavier could fall of the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom