the 137gig barrier update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazz123

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I installed windows 2k (not service packed) on a 160 gig (is detected as that in DOS) a while back and have been using it ever since max'ed out at 137 gig (in windows), created partitions etc...... well I have now updated 2k to sp4 and was wondering what the outcome would be if I undertake the instructions directed from this link (the 137 gig fix):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

would I just get the additional space detected by windows as unallocated / not formated ?

And what is the risk of data loss from my other partitions? would they be lost? basically what is the risk of performing this update.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

It would show up in computer management as unallocated space which you will have to format it in order to use it. Is it risky? Sure it is. But what do you have to lose? Then back up your data.

YouÂ’ll be fine, it usually go smoothly for some. Just backup your data incase something goes wrong.

just when following the guide when it asks u to put in a key value of "0x1" well in the regedit it will not let me enter the "x". Any help appreciated.

0x means its hexadecimal.

0x0 translates to 0x00000000 but itÂ’s shorter to write it as 0x0.

So what M$ is saying is that when you add that new entry itÂ’s default value data will be 0, so you need to change it to 1 to turn it on. Similar to 0x1 which is 0x00000001

Get it?

just to let people know, i put 1 in and it worked, showed the unallocated space that it was not detecting.

Thanks for everyones help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom