Computer Postmortem

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
I know this sounds silly but
My computer recently broke. (AMD K6-2 550 mhz, 184 SD-RAM, 10 gig HDD, CD burner, Floppy drive, Modem, 4 months ago upgraded to XP from 98) Now i am being hassled by my family on why it broke. I thought it was not such a big deal that it broke because it was old so it gave me a reason to upgrade but it ran reliably. What happened is that i booted it up, soon after a odd jumbled up picture came up on the screen, the picture did not show anything odd or anything related to windows. Then it shut down and refuesed to start up again. I tried different monitors and different video cards i had around but still no response. My family (who arnt very computer literate) think because i was running XP it broke because i pushed it too hard but it easily met microsofts requirements for XP. A power surge is possible but they have never happened before to us, also monitor, printer, modem which is hooked up to the same outlet still work. A week before it broke i ripped a lot of cd's to the hard drive. However i dont think any of these are the reasons it broke. Also i bought this computer in 01' and i know it was build in 00'.
If anyone knows about why my computer broke my family would be happy to know why.

Thanks
Wayne

waynejkruse10 said:
I know this sounds silly but
My computer recently broke. (AMD K6-2 550 mhz, 184 SD-RAM, 10 gig HDD, CD burner, Floppy drive, Modem, 4 months ago upgraded to XP from 98) Now i am being hassled by my family on why it broke.

That sux dude!!!!

With out really putting any thought into what you have discibed ;
My response would be that the MOTHERBOARD DIED as it was old. Like I have not seem a socket 7 motherboard since about early year 2000. And that was RA stock that the disty still had on hand.

That processor and motherboard set is about 4-5 years old. Most home computer life expectancy IMHO is 3 years.

It's going to be a bit of a good luck job finding a socket 7 motherboard now days as no one is making them any more.

If you purchased that system in 2001, then I would find it hard to believe that it's new.

waynejkruse10 said:
My family (who arnt very computer literate) think because i was running XP it broke because i pushed it too hard but it easily met microsofts requirements for XP.

Now that is BULL$#!+ right there. Xp would easily run on that box. I have managed to get a Xp to run on CPUs a low as Celeron 333Mhz. And I have installed it on plenty of 500 Mhz CPUs with out a hit.
No offence, but your parents are full of $#!+ with their statement.

You might try to convince your parents to upgrade to some thing newer / better. Like a motherboard + Celeron 2Ghz is only about $200 in this country.

Over all, good luck. I really hate it when some one it on my back about things. Especialy when they have no idea.

when it you say "refuesed to start up again" do you mean it wont power up?
does any ligths blink?
i had a problem with an old computer and all i did was replace the power sw
can you try to boot with a 98 floopy?
since it was an upgrade did you have your old o/s discs?

the power supply fan worked, also the cpu fan worked and the HDD. Im using the old parts (monitor, mouse, keybrd, case, etc) to build a new amd duron with 256 ram etc. Also I might upgrade to a AXP in later years

Thanks
wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom