What speed of ram to accompany my E6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pff, for overclocking you dont want less than 800mhz, thats guranteed.

Its pretty unclear ATM what mobo supports what ram, I'm personaly going AM2 because I don't want to go through the hassle of getting a conroe mobo [overpriced mobos..] and I cant wait till the stocks of conroe stablize, but heres the ram i'm getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034

This ram been certified to overclock up to 1200Mhz [!!!]

-Jo

So I should be looking for DDR2-800?

I don't understand, there is no way the FSB on any processor could be 1200mhz, unless the multiplier was like 2, or 3 at most. So whats the benefit of having ram that goes that high? More headroom?

And I'm not really worried about the cost of the motherboard, I think motherboards are underpriced as it is ...

lol didn't say you should be worried, I said why i'm not going conroe myself, but frankly I don't have regrets cause i'm going for a pretty good video card and thats all you really need for a good gaming machine ;-).

Either way, yup if you're overclocking, DDR 800 is what you should be looking at, and the FSB wasn't 1200mhz lol, theres a multiplier for ram too you know, and thats a silly question I can ask the same about Overclocking a CPU... what benefit does that gain? :p BETTER PERFORMENCE! lol. :D

-Jo.

Oh? Well heres to that :) a 3dmark05 benchmark for cpu shows otherwise, heres a tablet to compare:

CPU Points Ranking
2x 1024MB Super Talent T800UX2GC4 (200/800) 7843
2x 1024MB Patriot PDC22G800+XBLK (200/800) 7856
2x 1024MB Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 (200/800) 7879
2x 1024MB Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 (254/1008) 8230

Funny how the overclocked ram breaks through the 8.2k wall, maybe because there is a 'slight' bandwith increase? :p

Plus, who says the FSB of the CPU must be higher than the FSB of the ram?... You can increse multiplier for ram up to like 5 I think, depends on you're mobo if you skimp on that don't think too much about overclocking :p .

BTW That tablet was taken from here: http://www.pcstats.com/ArtVNL.cfm?articleid=1960&page=3

-Jo.

well, on AM2 platform you got HTT which does pretty much same as the multiplier works on CPU FSB..

Perhaps i'm confusing the two, i'm not sure if theres an option like that on intel anyway.

Heres a quote from that review I posted abit above:

At 250 MHz, the system again showed some signs of instability but that was due to the high HyperTransport speed and not the memory. Lowering the HTT multiplier from 5x to 4x solved that issue. Continuing up, the memory seemed to top out at 254 MHz, anything higher and the system had difficulty booting into Windows no matter the voltage. 254 MHz with 4-4-4-12 is definitely awesome, the memory is running at over 1000 MHz with tight timings!

You get what I mean?

-Jo

Yeah, I dunno, I've never heard of that. Then again, I'm not very experienced with overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom