Power Supply, Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESIFL

In Runtime
I built a brand new computer from the ground up this January, the people on this forum were extremely helpful and generous.

My situation
Four days ago I my computer mysteriously turned off while I was asleep. I thought maybe someone had shut it off for me or something of the sort, but when I went to turn it on the status light, telling me the computer was on came on, but nothing spun up. I then turned off the PSU and let it sit for about 10 minutes, came back later, flipped the switch and everything was fine.

This happened again while I was asleep the second day, and during the day on the 3rd day.

But today, it powered down completely while I was using it, and I began to smell a "firework smoke" kind of smell wafting from the back fan on my power supply. I was getting nervous, so I checked the connections and slot for any burns, melts, and residue as per the other threads I found.

I have not tried to turn the computer on again (though I suspect it would boot) due to the assumably shortening up-time my power supply is providing.

My PSU: Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

My questions
1.) Is it dangerous to run the computer with my dangerous power supply? (I'm assuming so.)

2.) Is my power supply sufficiently done for, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much. All help is appreciated :D.

1-YES!!!!!!!!!!!

2- Sounds like ur PS is fried (Pray its only the PS and it didnt take everything else with it)

Please get a good PS like a Silverstone, FSP or a Scythe(Kamariki)

Thanks very much to all who responded.

My power supply sohuld still be under warranty, so will probably persue that before I buy a new one.

Thanks again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom