Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

-AnGuiSh-

In Runtime
Hi. I've been recently having alot of problems with my computer lately.

I have a crappy system and it all started by me wanting to be able to play Certian Games that required alot of resources and such.

So i decided to get a better graphics card, i was buying it from a shop and the guy told me he sold out of it and that alls he had was a Ge-force 400 Mx (i know) So i decided to settle for it.

Games were still a bit choppy and what not. So I buy a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and a new Heat Sink for it and little did i find out that it wasnt compatible with my motherboard (it works just cant get full speeds from it) So games still remained a bit slow, So i decided to get a new motherboard which uses a VIA 260a Apollo Chipset.

Being able to use full speeds from my processer with out OC'n. I noticed i was getting alot of funny errors with my computer, Like files being corrupted During transfer And Sound Skipping (Even Using a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Dolby Digital or onboard the sound skipped) Random Computer reboots, Freezing during games then unfreezing, Errors while opening programs Ect.

I then turned to my memory and downloaded Memtest86 and found one of my memory modules were bad. I removed it and my games stopped freezing and i stopped getting errors while Opening programs.

So here i am. Thinking my other ram may be bad as well. Because I'm still gettting Bad File Transfer errors and Sound skipping, and some other little wierd stuff.

I'm pretty stumped on what to do. I downloaded the latest via Drivers, the PCI Latency patch. Flashed my bios, Updated my Video card drivers, Everything, and i mean everything.

One thing i noticed was that while my IDE Controllers was in PIO Mode i was able to download stuff and install it with out any problems, But not from CD, i still get CRC errors, Files missing, ect ect When i try to install games i baught.

Sooo...Im pretty much thinking now A. My current Memory stick is bad or the IDE Cables are bad.

I'm thinking its the Ram. Though to me its highly unlikely that both sticks can mess up at the same time. Im going to run memtest86 tonight while I'm sleeping for the full night just to be sure though.

My specs :

512 MB Pc133 Sdram
Amd 2400 + clocked @ 2.0 ghz
Asrock Motherboard Using Via Chipset
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Maxtor 80 GB Hard drive
Western Digital 40 Gb Hard drive
Ge-force mx 400 128 Mb
Liteonit DVD Rom
1 fan in the front and one in the back

Would anyone like to help?

:D

WOW..

Wow... this is a tough one.
Compatibility, compatibility, compatibility... have you checked your mobo and cpu requirements to see that your memory is compatible with your chipset (just because XP picks it up, doesn't mean it's fully compatible).
Another thing... run HiJackThis and post your log here or at my new messageboard listed in my signature.

We'll figure it out.

Welll my mobo isn't really known, and its kind of impossible because they dont offer support to people who buy theres from stores and stuff.

They only offer it to people who sell them. My memory is just a cheap No name Brand (i think). Infact i dont even know the name :p. Im going to best buy saturday which is why i want to figure out this problem before i do go. Does this sound like it could be the memory?

Anyways here my Hijackthis log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 2:10:52 PM, on 4/16/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Photoshop.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\WinAce\WinAce.exe
C:\Program Files\WinAce\WinAce.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Loopy\LOCALS~1\Temp\~AceTemp\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {71ED4FBA-4024-4bbe-91DC-9704C93F453E} - c:\progra~1\iesearchbar\iesearchbar.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jccatch.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: IE Search Bar - {71ED4FBA-4024-4bbe-91DC-9704C93F453E} - c:\progra~1\iesearchbar\iesearchbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: FlashGet (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &FlashGet (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{3E2F7093-489A-45BE-A98F-468E6C4B65D7}: NameServer = 206.141.192.60 206.141.193.55

Thanks for replying. Specially since im a n00b. :D

hmmm... read this... I've seen ALOT of posts on problems similar, and I've JUST now come across this. Looks like AMD and NVidia has a little problem with compatability. I think this is one of the few times I'll actually say thank GOD I have a P4...

Have any links to this so called problem? It doesn't seem right that AMD and Nvidia would have problems like this though. Since both are big companies and should have already solved this problem a while ago.

Plus, i wasnt really having these problems on my old set up. So i don't think its Amd and NVidia Issues.

also sorry, it's not an AMD but the VIA chipset and NVidia... I would search for possible updates to fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom