windows xp start up blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

obay

Solid State Member
I reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP. But a blue screen appears during start up I received this error:

A problem has been encountered and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

This error appears when: i boot the computer, the processor speed, detection of drives, memory etc appear, then it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data" (all of this is usual). after this, windows xp logo is supposed to show, that it's being loaded. instead i get the error above. another thing i noticed is that now, "verifying DMI pool data" takes around 1 or 2 seconds longer than usual.

My HDD is ok since i installed windows on it (worked fine) on another PC. When i put back the HDD on my PC, got the same error. IDE cables are ok. Could it be motherboard (God forbid)? or memory? Any suggestions? Anything i can do to pinpoint what's really the problem? A friend mentioned on using diagnostic tools.. what are those?

Sorry i'm not good with hardware. Thanks for your concern.

Q. During bootup my computer hangs at "Verifying DMI pool data." What is it and how do I fix it?

A. DMI or DesktopManagement Interface (pdf) is a layer of abstraction between system components and the software that manages them. The System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) is an extension of the Basic Input Output System (BIOS) that formulates and delivers this information to the operating system. The pool data is the information. In short, when the BIOS is "Verifying DMI pool data" it is verifying the table of data it sends to the operating system (Windows, etc.). If it isn't sucessful, it should return an error. Wait a reasonable period of time for it to finish. It may make take some time or it may be stuck. Possible fixes:

1. If you changed the hardware just before this problem occurred (e.g., installed a new hard disk drive), unchange it.

2. If you installed a new hard disk drive, set the motherboard CMOS Setup to Auto for the drive type. You may have to disconnect the drive first.

3. Enable "Reset Configuration Data" (may be "Force Update ESCD" in some CMOS Setuups) in the motherboard CMOS Setup PNP/PCI configuration. (Rebooting will automatically disabled it after it has done its thing.)

4. The CMOS may be corrupted. Clear it.

5. Disconnect all drives not required to boot the computer. If this fixes it, reconnect one at time.

6. The floppy drive may be bad or not connected properly.

7. Reseat all expansion boards.

8. Pull all boards not required to boot the computer.

Thanks for your reply! I have not installed anything (HW or SW), i just reinstalled windows. i'll try the things u suggested, thanks. How do i go about doing number 4?

open the case up and look for a silver battery like you see below:

battery9ul.jpg

take it out for a few minutes which will give it time to clear since the capaciters still hold a charge, then pop it back in

Warez Monster said:
open the case up and look for a silver battery like you see below:

battery9ul.jpg

take it out for a few minutes which will give it time to clear since the capaciters still hold a charge, then pop it back in

pressing holding the power button for a few second with the battery and plug out will discharge the capacitor quicker

thanks!!!

thanks for all the help!!! i've reinstalled windows now!!! =) thanks!!

yup

yes, i did what u said about the small battery then i reinstalled windows xp. and now works fine!! thanks again!! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom