What is RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cheerios said:
what abt pipes? where are they applied on? are they physically there? hmm what do they do?

think of them as a virtual term.... The size of your BUS...

if you have a big pipe you can move more stuff through it then with a small pipe right...

in any case, if you have the money to spend and you want to upgrade, then sure it would be worth it go wo with raid. But take into concideration all the other factors, whats the computer you want to put it on like? if it is an older computer, maybe consider upgrading that first, new mother board, memory and processor. you will get better performance that way, no redundancy though, if newer then concider the raid..

a nice raid controller, 3 15K RPM SCSI drives and set up the raid on your computer....

You will have some redundancey, depending on how you set it up, AND you will get higher performance.

think of it this way though, putting a raid controller and 3 fast scsi dives on an old computer would be like putting a nice new high perfomance transmission on an old toyota with an original engine, sure you get a performance boost, but the power isn't there....

this is all very interesting...
so, RAID-1 can give you faster read times and RAID-0 can give you faster write times

hmm so would it still be worth getting a RAID?
if all you need is a couple o' hard drives, and you can set it up yourself, then yes

i see in your sig you have "AthlonXp1800+ @ 1800Mhz(air)"
the 1800+ doesn't naturally run at 1800MHZ, did you overclock it?

neh 1800+ doesnt mean that it runs at 1.8ghz, it just simply means that it competes with the 1.8ghz proceesors with intel

cheerios said:
hmm so pipes are in a way like lanes right?

in a way yes...

Originally posted by cheerios apokalipse

if all you need is a couple o' hard drives, and you can set it up yourself, then yes

well yes and no... If you have NT, XP, or 2000 you can utilize multiple hard drives and create raid by just using the software in the OS (control panel/Administrattive tools/computermanagment/disk administrator)...

BUT Software Raid is not as reliable, nor as efficient, as adding a (hardware) Raid controller and using the appropriate, higher performance, Hard Drives.

However; With ATA out now, you can do it substantially cheaper by buying an IDE/ATA raid controller (again.. making it hardware based), however they are not as fast as SCSI raid controllers, But i am unsure of the actual Hardware specs.. on that..... Several mitigating factors, Cache size, MB transfer speed, and HD spin speed...

crspii said:
which one is better? i hope that question doesnt give me huge explanations i will have to study to understand.

don't be afraid to study something so you understand it... thats is the only way you learn.

Never be afraid to learn something.... if all you want are basic answers then you can go to Compusa and the will tell you an answer you want to hear, and then they will take your money, and you wont know if you bought something at a good price...

If you learn and understand something, then you will be a better informed consumer, and you will know what you are really buying...and know what you want.. and you will get a better price somewhere else...

and a better person for learnign somethign new..

:D

woohoo i totally agree with asupertech :D why do you think i keep asking questions? :D

ans: so people can answer them and that Id learn from them haha

asupertech said:
don't be afraid to study something so you understand it... thats is the only way you learn.

Never be afraid to learn something.... if all you want are basic answers then you can go to Compusa and the will tell you an answer you want to hear, and then they will take your money, and you wont know if you bought something at a good price...

If you learn and understand something, then you will be a better informed consumer, and you will know what you are really buying...and know what you want.. and you will get a better price somewhere else...

and a better person for learnign somethign new..

:D

lol. i didnt really mean that only wanted the short answer. but its funny and ironic that after i asked that, u not only gave me a long answer but it was not answering the question. :D
but yeah i agree. its jsut that i didnt want a HUGE stats list. what oberjaeger said was good.

so basicly... raid 0 is for speed, and raid 1 is for backup.
but is there mirror AND stripe for both? or is raid 0 stripe while raid 1 is mirror?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom