pvr, tv tuner advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

travis22

Baseband Member
i just bought a nvidia geforce 6200 256 mb card and i want to put a tv tuner card in. my issue is that i only have two pci slots so it would have to be an external tv tuner unless there is a way to have more pci slots. what advice can you give?

Are your two PCI slots in use right now? If there's a modem in one, you can pull that out and stick a TV tuner card in it.

External tuner cards are really low quality compared to PCI one, because PCI is way faster than USB.

well one has a wireless card and the other has a sound card. I might be hooking up to hardwire internet which is onboard, so i could eliminate the wireless.
any adivce on which cards to buy, any good ones that act as a tivo?

Well the part that would act like TiVo would be software, I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150, it is very nice. I have a computer system next to my TV which lets me rewind and record live TV and watch DVDs and such, it is very nice. I use MythTV to do all that, but any TV tuner card can work like that.

What is your budget, and do you need a dual-tuner? So you can record one station, and watch/rewind/record another? Or do picture in picture. :)

Also, to free up one of the PCI slots, you could get a USB wireless internet adapter. Just a thought.... :classic:

Yea that makes sense. I might look into usb wireless.
If i use the tv tuner, can i get a y splitter for for cable tv and one go into the tv adn the other into the computer. then i can record on the computer adn watch tv like i would normally? would i need dual tuner or could i do that? also, can i record more than one channel/program at a time with tv tuners?

If you have more than one tuner, you just need a y splitter to split the cable into each tuner and record more than one station, yes.

Yes, more me the Internet and TV comes from the same cable, so I have a y splitter, one goes to the cable modem and the other goes to the TV.

that didn't exactly anser my question. on tivo you can record more that one program at a time and more than one channel at a time. Can i do that with a tv tuner? Also, instead of having dual tuners, can I aplit my cable tv into my tv like normal and into my tuner card, so that i can watch tv on the tv and also record a program at the same time?

travis22 said:
that didn't exactly anser my question. on tivo you can record more that one program at a time and more than one channel at a time. Can i do that with a tv tuner?

Yes, with a dual-tuner card like the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500 or with more than one single-tuner card.

travis22 said:
Also, instead of having dual tuners, can I aplit my cable tv into my tv like normal and into my tuner card, so that i can watch tv on the tv and also record a program at the same time?

Yeah, that isn't a problem. I can watch one station on my TV directly plugged into the cable, and record a show on a different station on my computer at the same time.

Here, I'll draw a schematic of how my internet/tv network works in my house, gimme a few minutes.

Okay here's how I have mine setup. It's kind of difficult to explain stuff like this in words, hopefully this makes more sense. My MythTV box is connected to the computers so that I can watch the recorded TV shows from any computer in the house, even my laptop wirelessly, it's also plugged into the TV, because it has no monitor.
untitledix9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom