Planning for the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase

CECS Major
Well, right now I have this setup:

::-:: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
::-:: AMD 64 3500+ (2.2) (939)
::-:: 1GB Crucial Ballistix (2-2-2-6) (400)
::-:: ASUS x1900xt 512mb (ordered today!)
::-:: 80GB WD SATA II HD
::-:: 250GB WD SATA II HD

Here's my situation:

Since I just upgraded to the x1900xt, what component should it be next? My mobo does not support X2 processors and does not support DDR2 (since it's not socket AM2 of course).

Here are the options I have:

::-:: Stick with the mobo I have and switch out the current processor for an FX down the road, and simply put more RAM in and maybe a Raptor if needed.

--or--

::-:: Buy a completely new mobo and new processor (would probably be an X2 if I went to the extent of buying a new mobo).

The one thing I do know though, is that I will eventually need to uprgade or just save huge on a new build (using this current build as maybe a server or guest machine with my 6600GT in it). As of right now the 3500+ I have dosn't bat an eye at any game I throw at it (since the processor dosn't dictate your gameplay so much as the graphics card), but I know for UT2007 I am going to have to juice up my specs some more. So....of my options and your own experiences what now? Which option (or maybe a different route)?

Thanks for the help all,

::-Chase-::

i say save up your pennys and get a whole new mobo. i wouldnt waste money onan fx series cpu for a couple of reasons.. one, further down the road if your planning for the future you will probably want a dual core cpu anywayand would have wasted alot of money on a overpriced cpu. another reason is you could get a GREAT performing conroe setup with that money and still have it ready for the future..just sell your current setup..

throw it on ebay fora like 100 or soover priced, im sure some grandmother will shell out the big bucks so jonny can play his games.

as sombody once said.

^^^^ I agree, if you're gonna wait to buy a new mobo in which case no matter what you'd be buying ddr2 memory, might as well go with conroe, IF the prices on mobos has dropped enough. If they havent pick up like a x2 4600+/4800+ dont get fx series seeing as the x2 500+ is gonna be relativiely cheap. Just oc it 200mhz and you have a fx-62.

Im pretty sure a athlon x2 will work on your mobo though, so there's really no need to buy a new mobo.

Ridlyn said:
^^^^ I agree, if you're gonna wait to buy a new mobo in which case no matter what you'd be buying ddr2 memory, might as well go with conroe, IF the prices on mobos has dropped enough. If they havent pick up like a x2 4600+/4800+ dont get fx series seeing as the x2 500+ is gonna be relativiely cheap. Just oc it 200mhz and you have a fx-62.

Im pretty sure a athlon x2 will work on your mobo though, so there's really no need to buy a new mobo.

umm... don't even go 4600 or 4800... go 3800 or 4200... or 4000 and 4400... everything above those seem to get pricey... even with these price cuts

and for your motherboard.. can't you just check the website for the drivers and see if they got a new one that supports dual core?

Nukem said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517

read the very first review... it does accept X2 chips... So IMO I would say go for an 3800 x2 S939 and another GB of RAM... that'll keep ya for a couple of years before you really NEED to build again

A8N-SLI Deluxe
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=148&model=375&modelmenu=1

yes, exactly as i said, update the bios... errr well i said drivers but thats what i meant....

and nukem.. how long ago did you get your 4200.. these price drops must make you sad :( ... i bought my opty a long time ago and it still makes me sad :(

I bought it about 8 months ago... got it OEM from Newegg for 356... So, ummm, yeeeeaaa, but hey I'm not worried... I'm trying to unload it and get a 4800 x2 :D found one of those for 329.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom