accidentally blanked a word document, can i recover it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warez Monster said:
if you didnt save it, or blanked it out, you cant recover it
OK i tried a few of thses undelete programs and one of them i got a previous version of the file. This is an ok version but the problem is, when i recovered it, it was simply a bunch of incomprehensible code. it is the same size, but a bunch of weird characters. the weird thing is it actually does have a few paragraphs of normal text that was in the file. but the rest is just a bunch of strange characters.

When i clikc to open it it asks me to insert a disc from MS Office becuase. but i dont have this disk.

Word says "Microsoft Word can't import the specified format. This feature is not installed. Would you like to install it now?" Then it asks me for the disc but i odnt have it!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII said:
OK i tried a few of thses undelete programs and one of them i got a previous version of the file. This is an ok version but the problem is, when i recovered it, it was simply a bunch of incomprehensible code. it is the same size, but a bunch of weird characters. the weird thing is it actually does have a few paragraphs of normal text that was in the file. but the rest is just a bunch of strange characters.

Where did you install those undelete programs? I hope on a separate hard disk from the file, because from my own experience, the more programs/data you installed/saved in your hard disk since that mistake, the more likely the file will be overwritten and the least likely you will be able to recover the file in its original stage. That's why, I think, you saw a bunch of weird characters. I'm not aware of any program that can help you repair that though I hope someone out there can suggest one.

mikee said:
Lol that was rude,

if you have had the document for a few days you could try to system restore back to a day when you had it, or most of it

Does System Restore also restore SAVED file to its ORIGINAL state? Correct me if I'm wrong cos from my experience, System Restore (or Norton GoBack program for that matter) only restores the computer to a state earlier in time, program wise, but leaving saved files as they are and not to their earlier state.

oh **** yes i did install the undelete program on c:. it probably says it in the help file but i dont remember any warning not to install it on the same disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom