Removing nvidia icon in taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried to load up the nVidia panel and look fro the option to remove it from the systray? I know it there since i remove mine all the time. ;)

You just have to check around for that option. You dont have to go into msconfig or anything like that. There is the option right within the control panel to remove it.

Makaveli213 said:
Have you tried to load up the nVidia panel and look fro the option to remove it from the systray? I know it there since i remove mine all the time. ;)

You just have to check around for that option. You dont have to go into msconfig or anything like that. There is the option right within the control panel to remove it.

Found it and it comes back on within 5seconds!

Ive removed the two startup items i mentioned above via msconfig and they both return after i reset the pc, so does the icon in the system tray :mad:

Are you using the Beta drivers or the WHQL drivers? Or are they the driver right from the nVidia site?

This has gone on waaay to long :)

1) Remove the "NvMediaCenter" reference from the startup "Run" sequence.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
;"NvMediaCenter"="RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"
"NvMediaCenter"=-

As you can see from the above "example", the original reference is to initialize the tray icon automatically from the startup "Run" sequence when (re-)booting your computer (it is delineated with the semicolon). In the third line, the hyphen after the equal sign will remove that reference automatically.

2) Remove the "NvCpl.dll" reference from the nVIDIA "MediaCenterTray" registry entry.

;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\MediaCenterTray\NvCpl.dll]
;"FullPath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll"
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\MediaCenterTray\NvCpl.dll]

And from this example, you will see the original references (first two lines delineated with semicolons). It seems if they remain there, the taskbar icon will continue to reappear until the reference is completely removed, so to do this, the hyphen (just after the left square bracket) will remove the entire key. This is the step that most people have missed in their posts.

==========

NOTE: It is NOT necessary to remove all 3 nvidia driver references from the startup "Run" sequence. You only need to remove the taskbar initialization reference and the NvCpl.dll registry key.

==========

For easy copying and pasting, here is the complete registry entry for a .reg file (it also includes the registry entry for removing that incessant SLI notification):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\MediaCenterTray]
"NvCplDisableBalloonNotifications"=dword:00000001

;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\MediaCenterTray\NvCpl.dll]
;"FullPath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll"
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\MediaCenterTray\NvCpl.dll]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
;"NvMediaCenter"="RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"
"NvMediaCenter"=-
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"
;"NvCplDaemon"=-
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
;"nwiz"=-

Warez Monster, thanks for the long reply but its gone over my head abit, im not used to reg editing, tell me what i have to find and mod in reg edit? nothing else to get me confused! plus ive added NvCplDisableBalloonNotifications"=dword:00000001 into it and the balloon tip still shows on startup!?

If I had 5 minutes access to your pc, it would be gone

Well it says to go here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run];"NvMediaCenter"="RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit""NvMediaCenter"=- and remove the key and the same with the others. Are you having troubles navigating to the key?

Warez Monster said:
If I had 5 minutes access to your pc, it would be gone

Well it says to go here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run];"NvMediaCenter"="RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit""NvMediaCenter"=- and remove the key and the same with the others. Are you having troubles navigating to the key?

I was going to post that this morning, but I hate typing registry letters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion
got that far and why does it say run? im just typing in regedit then finding it all.

Screenshot-25_07_200620_11_22.jpg

am i even near it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom