Missing ntoskrnl.exe help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD

Solid State Member
ok im from over at TPU forums but theyve degraded to arguing and arnt much of a help anymore unless it has to do with ATi vid cards....

well im on vacation and i dump all my pictures onto my laptop, but it wont start anymore due to windows missing the ntoskrnl.exe...

ive made a bootable cd using Roxios Easy CD creator 5 (i use nero but im not at my house and this is all i got right now)

the cd boots into DOS and has the ntoskrnl.exe on it... but it starts showing drive A:\ and i cannot choose wich drive i want to use..

i also need help with the commands to copy a file from a cd to the part of windows the ntoskrnl is in (c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe)

thank you!

I dont understand how you are booting to DOS..is this not a XP/2000 Install CD that you recorded? I will answer better once I know what I am working with. As a general rule though you can do it when you boot up to the recovery console..you can also do it with DOS so long as its the version that supports NTFS and you turn on CD-ROM support.

You would then browse to the CD..lets assume your CD-ROM drive is the D:\ drive..

A:\>D:
D:\>cd D:\I386
D:\I386>copy ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32

confirm YES to replace file. Now dont quote me on the location of the NTOSKRNL.EXE location on the XP CD, but most things are usually there. If not just browse the CD contents by typing a DIR command.

Also if you dont feel like doing all those steps you can simply enter it all on one line...but if you are not certain where things are better to be sure by doing it manually like above..

I.E.

A:\>copy D:\I386\NTOSKRNL.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

no its not a xp install cd... im on vaction and had to make a bootable cd, like i made a bootable floppy then let easy cd creator make a bootable cd (this is on another computer)

i get into DOS, and whenever i try to access any of my drives it says invalid drive specification and i dont know why...

**EDIT** ok well i tried it again and noticed when i when into dos it says

"Starting....

Microsoft Windows Millennium
(C)bla bla bla bla copyright

A:\"
so i can get in but why is it when i make a bootable cd on a xp system i get a windows millennium dos?

idk what im doing anymore, i dont deal with dos to much as whenever i have a major windows problem with my main rig i just reinstall windows because i can just download everything again...

ughhh i hate windows

ha...

well id be asking that if i were @ home, but im in alaska and needing a place to put all my pictures :(

ahhh this is turning out to be so much harder than i thought it would be, as im doing everything right but it keeps saying invalid drive selection.... ughhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom