Need advice on upgrading Dell PWS530

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiran1999

Beta member
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. I am having a Dell Precision workstation 530 with Dual Xeon 1.8GHz Processors. Recently my motherboard gone bad and I am looking for another mother board to replace it. I am not at all satisfied with Dell workstations PCI-X slots and their speeds (as they always give me very low speeds compared to normal PCI slots). So, this time I am thinking of going for an Asus board or something like that which can give me high PCI and PCI-X speeds. I use my system mostly for testing and running waveform generators and signal acquisition at higher frequencies like 10MHz to 20MHz.

Hope someone will comeup with a great solution for my upgrade.

thanks,
-Pavan.

I am checking over there.. but i am not sure about the compatibility of the cabinet and power supply of 530...

-Pavan

New system advice??

Hi,
I have checked with Dell and they are charging $610 for new motherboard. Instead of spending that much on new board, I am thinking of building a new high performance system by buying individual parts. I just need to build a new CPU cabinet. I am already having 3 SCSI drives at 10k rpms and DVD+/-RW and 19inch flat panel keyboard and mouse. All I need is a new cabinet with nice processor. I heard some good reviews about ASUS boards for their high speeds, probably I would like to have an ASUS board with a high performance core cuo processor or whtever you guys recommend.
I would like to have good PCI bus speeds (i.e. around 110MBps on normal PCI slots and mroe than that on a PCI-X slots). I would like to have 3 PCI-X slots and 2 PCI slots. It would be nice to have nice AGP slot too. I am having nVIDIA VGA card in normal AGP slot (which is fine for my work). At the end I would like to have high PCI bus speeds and hard disk RW speeds and processing power (since I work most of the time on multi-threaded applications. Compatibility for 4GB ram is good enough. I am having 2GB of Dell PWS 530 ram and I think they are obsolete now, but I can get new ram.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and thanks for any help ahead.

-Pavan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom