the Athlon 64 / x2 Has no SSE4.. what does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoad said:
Oh yeah? Well the x6800 stocks held about 2 hours....

And thats one really bad motherboard lol, the cheapest, worth buying one was 250$.

-Jo.

Lol :D

I thought you were using play along words, calling the X6800 "One bad motherboarder."

and

Yoad said:
I Wanna get an AMD but I am worried by the fact they don't have SSE4...

Don't worry about it man, the only CPUs that support SSE4 right now are Conroes as far as I know, and I don't even think it's being fully implemented with software that is available. In fact, I'd be willing to be most software doesn't even use SSE3.

Look man... If you were worried about every little bit of "latest" technology... you would NEVER build... I read somewhere once that a computer is completely and 100% obsolete every 18 months, (or something that effect) with something new and exciting... go for what you know... I realize your wanting the best, but best what??? right now? and then drool over the latest in 6-8 months from now??? Go for what you know... the rest will work itself out later... If you want Conroe, then go for it... if you want AMD cause that's what you know? THEN GO FOR IT! :) With these drops in prices... I'll stick with my little ol' dated machine right now and wait for all the hype to die down and the next stuff comes out... then maybe it'll be time for something new...

but as tey say... you know what opinions are like... and most of them stink... but THAT is my 2 cents

And the only problem I've ever heard of that's arisen from certain CPU's not supporting certain instruction sets is was people wanted to try that hack job OSx86 and it required SSE1 and 2, or 2 and 3... but thats the only instance of a problem I've heard of.

Look man, P2's support NO sse, and Windows runs on it, and so does a lot of programs.

You shouldn't let it be a deciding factor.

Edit: And Conroes may support SSE4, but they don't support 3D NOW! like AMD's do.

Hmmm well I was going to buy it like 5 months ago but then my bro told me to hold on because he's gonna go to the U.S. in a month [a month ago he did] and the prices there are cheaper by far.

Then I had to wait for some price drops on the pci-e video cards cause I couldn't get a good one for the old prices and now i'm too tired to wait for conroe, actualy i've been an intel user ever since I bought my first computer [cept for my IBM when I was 2 years old] so I know near-to-nothing about AMDs and actualy rather go Intel, but as I said, its way too much of a hassle right now and I don't want a Pentium D as those are horribley weak.

Only thing i'm worried about is SSE4 if its all that important i'll wait for the conroes =\ definantly im not waiting for DX10 and other crap because im fed up with that lol.

-Jo.

The General said:
Edit: And Conroes may support SSE4, but they don't support 3D NOW! like AMD's do.

Just another thing to worry about. :p

I dunno if you saw that but I wanted to make sure you saw it.

lol, yeah I did... well probably I'll be going for AM2 if I don't see some intel conroe mobos for less than 250$ and conroes @ newegg/zzf/tigerdirect.

-Jo.

That's what my plan is. And I already have an x2 3800+ :p

It's the price drops that get me. My dad always said "buy it when the price is right, not when you need it."

one other question,the amd x2's [the ones whos getting price cuts] has 1mb cache(512*2), whilst the 4400/4800 has 2 (1mb*2) and the conroe has 4mb (2*2)..
Will that effect incredibly on the performence of the cpu? And if yes, in what areas?

I need a CPU That can handle a LOT of multitasking...
sadly im not insanly rich as i'm insanly stressing my cpus so i'd rather take a 1mb cache AM2 cpu for half a price if it will work the same for my needs
(Gaming occasionaly, not playing heavy games like BF2 or FarCry etc but I do play Wolfenstein ET and that kind of games,
and of course Multitasking.. i'm an MMORPG gamer I need a LOT of clients running, like 10-15 clients at once of mass bandwith games.. oh and DVD ripping and burning sessions, that what the pc will do mainly).

-Jo

my puny little opty 146 single core can multitask really well.. so i'm 100 percent sure a 3800 or 4200 would do way better than what i've got.... i myself am going to pick up a 4200 on friday.. well order... maybe... not 100 percent sure.. but there is a very good chance of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom