Blocking popups in Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Baseband Member
OK Firefox built-in blocks popups, but not all of them. On some sites popups still persist.

But i tried a few programs from cnet.com and none block all popups. Is there no plugin or program where you can just clikc "block all popups" and it blocks every single popup?

And by the way i have the latest version 1.5.

It gets irritating becasue they dont stop. some of them include 888.com, integratedmediadesigns.com and customcharms.net

Scan the machine with :

(any of the following)

Ewido - Very Good (Free)
AVG - Also Very Good and (Free)
Adware - SE (Free)
Spybot Search and Destroy (Free)

brady said:
Trotter... Would you say that the windows defender is as good as the above freewares?

I have never used it, but as you have seen, these help threads are becoming more frequent.

In your opinion is defender just as good if not better than the obove freebies?

I would say so. I every test I've ever seen of spyware/adware detectors/removers, Windows Defender was at the top finding no less that 90% of the spyware.

You can also try this:

Firefox has its own built-in popup blocker, but some sites have cleverly gotten around this feature. If this case is common for you, try this:

Type about:config in the location bar.
Right-click anywhere, select New, and then Integer.
Enter in privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins.
It will then ask you for an integer value and you'll put a 2.

Possible values are:

0: Allow all popups from plugins.
1: Allow popups, but limit them to dom.popup_maximum.
2: Block popups from plugins.
3: Block popups from plugins, even on whitelisted sites.

I use Windows Defender, Spybot, and ad-Aware, as well as the anti-spyware that came with ZoneAlarm Pro.

But I basically just let Defender and ZoneAlarm do their scans. I only fire up Spybot and Ad-Aware about once a month, just to check.

I hardly ever have adware, since I use the extensions for Firefox (NoScript, Flaskblock, Adblock).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom