file tampering

Status
Not open for further replies.

darth spud

Solid State Member
ok guys im in a bit of a pickle here. i was explaining to my m8 how to make a .exe file look like a .txt file coz i was explaing to her how viruses work. so basically i had a file called "cs servers.txt" and i renamed it to

"cs servers,txt(then 48 spaces).exe"

when i try to delete this file it says that it is in use by another program and that i should shut down the program that is using it and then delete it. i dont know what program is using it. its not in start up in ms config and its not in boot.ini (dont think it would be anyway, but worth saying)

i have booted up in safe mode and tried to delete the file and it still comes up with the message. so then i tried booting into dos but when i do dir in C: it doesnt show directories just files in the root of C: drive. so i tried deleting the file in the cmd promt in windows with the hope that it would delete the file the next time i start up but my dos is a little patchy and i cant remember how to delete. im typing

del C:\Documents and settings\Ross\Desktop\ cs servers,txt .exe

it then says it cant find the specified path

C:\Documents and settings\Ross\Desktop\cs

i think its looking at the file as a directory and thats why it cant find it. what am i doing wrong here?

ps im using win xp pro

thanx very much for any input on this

darth spud

Just login in another Admin account n' u should be able to delete the file ...

Just in case u still are not able to do so ..use Process Explorer
to figure out what process is using the file... Kill that process n' u'll be able to delete the file..

Finally ..if u had to to in DOS ... then u'll hafta move to that directory first... using the CD command

Eg: At the prompt C:\ type cd docume~1\ross\desktop

Thanx for the help preet2u, i installed Prcess explorer (very handy software btw) and it says that explorer service is using the file....oh dear! i think the only way im gonna get rid of this file is if i do it through dos. please could you tell me how to delete a file in dos, especially a file that has 48 spaces in it.

thnx very much

Darth_Spud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom