Windows NT etherlink III.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpmwrestler

In Runtime
I've got an IBM Thinkpad 380xd running windows NT server 4.0. My 3com etherlink III 3c589d-tp card won't work. In the control pannel, in pcmcia card, it recognizes it, but has a big red X on top of it. It says there is no driver installed. I downloaded the driver from the 3com site, and installed it, but no luck. Then I went to the ibm site and downloaded the pcmcia card driver from there and installed that driver, but it didn't work either. Any ideas?

Ok, I finally found the right drivers, but now it asks me for I/O adressing and IRQ. I researched a little and found that 0x300 is default for the i/o for the card and default irq is 10. I used those settings, then restarted, then went into the control pannel-network-services and installed the right services then in the protocols tab, I configured the tcp/ip to fit my router. Then I restarted again in hope that it work. But when I pinged my router it timed out all four times, and the internet doesn't work. I noticed that when I used to have windows 98 installed on the same computer with the same network card, the connector light turns on when the card is installed and working. 98 configured everything automatically for me. But the connector light is on when NT is at the blue loading screen, but at the login screen, it turns off. I think that I might need to get a program that will make the light turn on, and make the card work.

Also in control pannel-pc card now the card shows up with a big yellow question mark.

Because NT has no Plug and Play like 98, it's much harder to get legacy device to operate without manually setting the I/O and IRQ and further escalating the problem by creating conflicts with other hardware that might be using those current address. To simply put it, a legacy card that requires a certain address to function while the another device has already taken the address can not coexist in that system.

Well I don't think the irq and i/o are conflicting, I think it is more of the computer responding with the card. If the light is on, it means the computer is responding with the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom