Finally! A Rig for Orayn! (Close to Final)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

In Runtime
Optical Drive: Black Samsung DVD +/- RW. Could throw in another ten
bucks for Lightscribe, but I'd never use it...

Case: Antec P180, baby. All sorts of smooth, shiny goodness.

HDD: 250GB Western Digital Caviar. SATA Interface and 16MB of cache. Pretty zippy.

Monitor?: Not quite sure on this one. It's either this 19" widescreen monitor from ViewSonic, or its 4:3 equivalent. I'll need some input...

GPU: EVGA 7900GT. I HAVE THE POWER! And EVGA Step-Up. Here's hoping the 8800GT comes out within 90 days.

PSU: : I also have the power here. I think. Is this PSU dependable/powerful? Also, how's the cable length? It can be an issue with the massive P180 case, from what I hear.

Schpeakers:
Anyone else have these? Is the sound quality any good? I'm not an audiophile, but I sure as heck appreciate good speakers.

Keyboard and Mouse: Meh. They'll get the job done. I'll switch them out for more precise/power stuff later.

Memory: Good stuff. 5-5-5-12 at DDR2 800 is the same as 2.5/2.5/2.5/6 at DDR400, which is just fine. Could OC it, too. Tell me if I should just go with a no-name brand, 'cause it doesn't matter that much with RAM...

Motherboard: I'm using a Core 2 Duo, and I just need a mobo that'll run it. No SLI, no frills. At least it's straight from Intel.

CPU: I'm going to get a Core 2 Duo E6400 at 2.13GHZ, but it's not on Newegg yet. No, it's not a Conroe. It's Allendale. That's Conroe with 2MB of cache instead of 4. But not technically Conroe. :p

OS: I'm not sure whether to get XP Pro, or just use the Vista Beta...

Sorry for the list being a little out of order. That's how it was in my shopping cart on Newegg. :p
This is my first rig, and I'm hoping it turns out well. Please tell me if I missed anything, and give your input on what I picked.

Yes! You're getting a P180...

Dood, I love mine. I was having cooling problems up the arse with my OC'd components until I installed all of them in this case.

NOTE: (2) issues that are noteworthy

1) The 4-pin atx power cord that runs to the top side of the Motherboard must be about 24" - 30" for a clean installation. My stock Antec PSU's 4-pin woudn't reach - no matter what. Surgery time. Or you could purchase an extension. I opted for surgery and used an extra PCI-E power cord of the same rating.

2) The VGA airbox is another awesome feature. You will only be able to install a 80mm x 15mm fan in this box. I tried several 80mm x 25 mm fans (with surgery) but could not maintain the head-room for good air-pull/flow, don't waste your time. SVC (Silicon Valley Computers) sells a Panaflo 80x15 fan for about 17 bucks, it is a loud fan so put it on a rpm controller. Also If you are using an aftermarket CPU HSF make sure you do the measurements. My Zalman CNPS9500 fits if it blows toward the rear exhaust fan. In order to fit the CNPS9500 so that it blew toward the blowhole...... you guessed it surgery (wonders what one can do with a dremmel and some patience).

Okay, I'll shut up now.

isnt vista beta free? just dual boot with xp pro and vista beta, i wouldnt put all my important files on a M$ OS, ESPECIALLY when its still BETA.

john3 said:
isnt vista beta free? just dual boot with xp pro and vista beta, i wouldnt put all my important files on a M$ OS, ESPECIALLY when its still BETA.

hrmm... i've had important files on windows xp pretty much since its been out.. and havent had a problem with it yet... and not just xp... since windows me.. then upgraded to xp.. and still, those files are still there since 1999/2000

lancec2c30 said:
I said VIsta BETA, not just windows?? and all BETA stuff just cant be fixed. or else they would just start mass production early.

You obviously didn't understand my joke. :)

The joke is that all versions of Windows have major bugs that haven't been worked out yet. :p

I "fixed" what you said by removing the words "Vista BETA." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom