help with dual hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam_not_2fast4u

Daemon Poster
ok so i took out my old hd which is ide and put in a new sata and loaded microsoft media center. well i want to get my documents and stuff onto the newone, i connected it booted up media center and went to my computer, and the hd isnt there? how do i get it to show? i cant boot the old hd because a system file is corrupted. Thanks

i set it to slave the ide. i dont know where to look in bios, i just have it set to boot to hard drive (doesnt let me select one) and then cd drive/

What happens when you put it at Master? Can you give it a try?

The BIOS should list rather it detects the hard drive or not. Should be in the Standard setting but every BIOS is different.

it says nvidia rair id rom bios 4.84

Dectecting array...

then it booted into media center
and same thing, just the regular local disc is in my computer, nothing eles

take the IDE HDD out. If its just the Sata does the comp startup and run fine?
If yes than shut down the comp and connect the IDE on its own IDE cable set to master.(the cdrom should be master on its own cable)
When you start up you need to hit DEL and go into the bios and set the Sata as the first boot devise and the cdrom as second.
When windows starts it will list the ide HDD as devise E or F or some other letter. You just click on it in my computer and transfer the files you want. Careful it dosent mess up the sata (if it has a virus)

yeah but in bios, it just says hard drive, cd drive. not ide hard drive, or sata hard drive. theres something under bootable options thats like ld then neubers or something. it boots fine with both connected i just cant get the ide one to show up in my computer/

The two drives should be different model numbers, for instance, I have to WD 80Gb HDs. One is IDE the other is SATA.. the IDE is the model number ending in JB and the sata is the same, but it ends in JD.. So look for something like that to clue you in to which is which..

Also, make sure the drive that is set to master on the master on the cable, and the same with the slave.. sometimes if the BIOS is trying to auto detect, and the jumper/cable orientation is wrong it gets messy.

As far as "seeing" the hard drive, is it initialized in windows?

(right click My Computer->manage-> Disk Management (at the bottom).. if the drive is there, right click on it and select Mark Partition as Active.)

That might solve it.. Sometimes you have to initialize the drive for MS to actually let you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom