Fighter Pilot Power Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfc469

Daemon Poster
I want to get one of these:
FigtherPilotToggleClear2.jpg

and use it to turn on and off my computer, but I have a few questions.

1) what guage wire do I need to use?
2) is there any way that I can make both the fighter pilot switch and the original power button work at the same time(so i can turn the comp on/off from either of the two locations)
3) what would happen if I were to unplug the switch while the comp was powered on?
4) how much voltage passes through the circut that the power button is connected to at any time? is it enough to hurt you if you got shocked by it?

Thanks for answers,
Kevin

You're making it more advanced than it needs to be man. You don't need any specific gauge of wire, just get whatever crappy wire you can find. Noticeable voltages aren't even going through the thing. A normal power button is tiny wire with a jumper on the end and pushing the button just connects it for a brief second. That's why you can turn on a computer using a flathead screwdriver that touches the pins the button normally slips onto.

2) is there any way that I can make both the fighter pilot switch and the original power button work at the same time(so i can turn the comp on/off from either of the two locations)
Wire them both onto the same set of wires that's going to the pins.

3) what would happen if I were to unplug the switch while the comp was powered on?
Why do you want to do that? Probably nothing would happen. As I said, that power button is only there to complete a circuit for a brief second. Unplugging it will be the same as having the thing not pushed in.

Just so you know, if you use that switch you'd have to flip it on, then back down to turn off your computer. You can't have it flip on to turn on the computer and flip down to turn it off.

lol yeah, not sure of the logistics but to do that he'll have to mess with the PSU Itself, probably to use the same trick we use to make a psu work without plugging it to a mobo first [using those two slots on the 20/4 pins connector]

One thing for sure making it that way will probably be messy.

To clarify why you'll have to push it back up[Just incase Gaara wasn't clear enough... as he didnt point out why he just stated a fact], its simple, the power jumper circut only needs a little touch of electricity to turn up the rest of the computer, keeping it down all the time will leave the circut closed and that jumper will keep getting voltage flow into it, which will possibly even fry it or the cable that connects between the two [Happend to me once, its very weak and thin cables you're gonna mess with they can't handle much heat]

-Jo.

Gaara? thats Nubius ^^^

yea, you could just wire it to the mobo connector, green and black pins. that would work fine, as then you could use either switch, and it would work as an on/off switch.

i am not sure what would happen when you try to power off though. the mobo would try to turn it off, but it would stay on, and you would turn it off at the fighter switch.

hehe I said its a messy logyistics, and sorry I ment nubius.

Dunno if its worth all the effort, aany modding pro around here that has past experience with psu moddings? o_O

-Jo

the switch automatically goes back down after you push it up, so you can use it as a power switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom