Mysterious CD drive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuestWho

Beta member
Went away for 2 weeks and of course unplugged everything, when I got back I tried starting up the computer, alas the monitor wasn't responding, so after awhile (and a new video card later) figured out it was the powersupply for some reason. Well replaced it with an equal 550w psu from ozc, working fine.

Well to my dismay, another problem has arised, now that I can see the screen : P, apparantly the CD burner that was working fine prior to leaving reads only ONE disk but never a second one... The only way around this is to either reboot the machine or to disable and enable the cd burner through device manager... So a run down...

I insert the disk
Disk is read and runs fine
Pop it out and insert a second disk
Drive spins up and nothing, as if a CD isn't even in the drive.

Another thing I've noticed is when a second disk is inserted drive D in my computer renames from

CD-RW Drive (D: )
to
CD Drive (D: )

Yeah, this has stumpted me beyond anything, so crossing my fingers I went out and bought a cheapo $35 CD burner with the same results... What the **** could have casued this and what the **** could be the problem? After replacing just about every major thing inside the comp the only thing left is the motherboard... So any insight on this to prevent such stupid problems (or even a fix!) in the future will be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Geforce 6800xt
OCZ 550w psu
ASUS k8v se Deluxe
1gb ram
Windows XP pro
Memorex CD burner (tho this shouldnt matter)

I'm not quite sure what it is but i can suggest that it could be something to do with your drives and i would reformat the hard drive with windows but i think it could be the motherboard but if you might has well try to install windows like i just said because when you take your motherboard out your hard drive will need reformatting. If you have warrenty left on your motherboard then it is worth havin your motherboard checked.

BUT REMEMBER TO BACK UP YOUR FILES BECAUSE YOU WILL LOSE THEM.

hope this help please tell me if this does thanks

Just got done formatting the stupid thing and It forunatly seems to have cleared up the drive issue, what caused this, I have no idea, what I did notice was something extreamly odd.

When I got done formatting I checked the drive out and noticed it was now named (E: ) instead of the previous (D: ) which was the exact same as my secondary harddrive, ironic how simple things get over looked. I assume this was causing the problem but how the OS managed to pull that one off is beyond me.

Thanks for the help (And yes I was willing to buy a new motherboard before ever bringing my self to spend the time reformatting and restoring the system : P)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom