comp running slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeLeMuNdO!

In Runtime
my comp seems to open applications slower than it should, like internet explorer and games. i don't know much, but my guess is the power supply.

specs: AMD XP 2600+
ATI 9600XT
768 mbs PC-2700 RAM

i just have the power supply that came with it, compaq, and its only like 250 watts.

normally this is a os related problem.check for viruses.check taskmanger to confirm that what is going on background.last option reinstall the os

I'm with Vimal on this one. Check your systems using Adware for any spyware that could be slowing down your machine. Use a virus scan to check for any viruses and lastly if this is a new compaq unload some of that software that put on the machine.

I've found that clients who get those new Compaq's run slower becuase of all the extra software that comes pre-loaded.

One last thing, what model is this Compaq? I ask, because most new compaqs come with settings turned down and you might check the performance settings (START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > PERFORMANCE) and see if they are correct.

Cheers.

i don't really think its viruses or spyware, i've only had the comp like a week, plus i run virus and spyware scans about once every 2 days.

its a Compaq Presario S4110CL, and i removed a lot of the stuff that came with it. i don't have that many processes running, plus only about 20% of my RAM is being utilized.

i went to that power supply site, and i was about 75 watts underpowered...i might just go ahead and upgrade to about a 400 watt supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom