Installing subwoofers to my computer's system

Status
Not open for further replies.

IF06

In Runtime
Not sure if this is the correct room for this topic

My mom's boyfriend recently gave me a subwoofer meant to be used for a surround sound system for a home entertaiment system; it's one of those in-wall speakers.

I've been wondering if there's a way to install the subwoofer to my computer's system, the only thing stopping me from doing so is the way it connects to a system which is,as usual, a black and red thing.

I'm pretty sure if I could connect it through the computer, I'd be able to use it without it having it being registered or noticed by the computer

First of all, speakers dont generally register with the computer. Second you might need to find something else that will filter the computers signal so that the sound is low frequency. Otherwise, if you dont have any other equipment that supports an extra subwoofer, its pretty much no use for your system.

Well, I've thought of all this things that's why I came here to ask for any advice. I know that it isn't something that is meant to be installed for the computer's sound system.

Don't make it sound like I've no clue as to what I'm doing, I'm only asking here because it's something that I don't think is normally done and I need some sort of way to getting around it.

But yah, thanks for that input.

Also, my integrated sound card supports 7.1, and 5.1 should be the normal standards for all mobos with integrated features, isnt it?

Don't make it sound like I've no clue as to what I'm doing,
Well, for this particular task you dont. You said it yourself, it's not a common occurence. Beyond that, you're talking about it "Registering" or being noticed by the computer which doesn't happen with speakers, which is another reason you got the response you did. A "black and red thing" isn't very descriptive in reference to the plug. Is it an RCA connection?

Most woofers are using RCA and if that's the case then you'd need something like this:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/adapters-rca-14.html

For the computer though you'd need a 1/8" jack not 1/4" actually. I believe the black output is normally for the subwoofer, the green is for your normal left and right and whatnot and the beige is center........I BELIEVE that's how it goes anyway so you should check with the manual first I suppose.

eh , what i meant by that is that I know that its not something that is normally done.

Well I dont mean to altercate with anyone so sorry,

and thanks for this as well. I mean, the only reason I want it in this particular area, is because i've got nothing else to do with it, aside from installing it to my home entertaiment's surround sound but i've got enuff speakers for that.

I think he meant that the subwoofer just has a red and black wire. Some systems have this weird clamp thing that clamps onto the bare wire, I think my stereo downstairs has that. If that's what you're talking about, some soldering might be involved. Red being the output wire, and black the ground.

If it's RCA plugs, well, just read Nube's post above.

I think he meant that the subwoofer just has a red and black wire. Some systems have this weird clamp thing that clamps onto the bare wire
The only reason I assumed it wasn't just the bare wires is because he said black and red 'thing' and not just 'black and red wires'

I too have a couple of speakers at home that just need speaker cable and it has the little clamps in the back......don't really see it too much these days it seems. Guess it depends on what kind of equipment you get though.

I would think you would need to connect it to an amplifier, and then connect the amp to the PC

Hello,

I agree 100% with gaara. If the subwoofer is a passive subwoofer (no internal amplifier) then you will need to connect it to an amplifier first...otherwise you might as well cut a hole in a box and call that your subwoofer :p .

If it's an active subwoofer then you'd be ok.

Also, you say it has a 'red and black thing'...do the inputs look something like this (ignore the rear and front inputs)?...

speakerinputsog9.jpg

Or are they cable clamps, like this?...

apexjr1ja2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom