Need a browser-computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Okay, so I'd like to just have my main system as a gaming/torrent/DVD-encoder system. I've been doing my best to keep it silent, but no matter how you try, it still gets costly (I still need a new Sonata case and a couple 120mm fans ($20 bucks each for good ones, not too cheap.

So I'm either going to get an iMac (supposedly fanless, plus I'd like to see what all the Mac hype is about) or a semi-crappy laptop (with the advantage of mobility).

I've noticed Mac's are pretty expensive. I was going for an eMac, but they're around 350-400 at the cheapest. So I took it a notch lower, and I'll probably go for an iMac G3, as long as it has a decent amount of RAM and a HD bigger than 6 GB. These are like 80-120 bucks, might be a little bit harder to find one in Canada (CRT monitor + long-distance shipping = disaster), but I'm sure I can

Orrr, I could get a nifty laptop, I've seen Pentium 3's with like 128MB of RAM, 10GB hard drive for like 170 bucks on eBay, and I can easily order one from the US, as they're not so delicate for shipping as a CRT.

Basically something I can keep on 24/7, is super quiet, and decent enough to do some browsing, instant messaging, stuff like that.

So should I go Mac, or laptop? I'm getting like 400 bucks next week from some recent gig's I've played, but I want to keep some of it, since I'm buying a Marshall AVT soon.

Wow. Now I'm seriously gonna' put a Wallstreet G3 Powerbook in one of my "possibles". Can get one for like 130 bucks, with a dead battery, but can run OSX fine.

Serious. I'm not looking for anything powerful, just for browsing and stuff. Plus I'd like to learn a few Mac basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom