for a gaming PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, you guys really stay up late, huh :D

im in brazil right now, on vaca, so i couldnt really stay up gaming :D

ok, thanks a ton for those two builds, and the ensuing debate :D

one thing i noticed: the processor is 2.4ghz... will that cut it for the next-gen games coming out?

when do you honestly think conroe will be coming out, and when do you think compatible motherboards will be coming out, this is just a j/w question, since im not going to build this computer for at least two months (gotta save up the money)

is there a place i can look at conroe speeds and stats, or a place that talks about when they are coming out?

also, with the keyboard and mouse, im going with this setup:

Razer Diamondback (already owned)

Optimus Keyboard (totally leet, take a look at link, its not out yet, but they say late 2006, so ill get a crap keyboard till it comes out)
http://www.artlebedev.org/portfolio/optimus/

on the optimus, each key is its own OLED screen that displays the char the key is, so you can have every language, and you can have the keys change to gaming setups (like the EZBoard, but one keyboard for every game) and even design your own icons :D

also, are there ANY conroe-ready boards out now? any that are not yet on the market but have stats to show you what they will be like when they do come out?

answering first question, conroe will be out before end of the month i think, some people already bought it, the reason why its not on newegg is cause its sold out, it sold out in the morning of the 14th this month.

like i said twice already, raw speed does not determine the performance of a processor so YES 2.4GHz would be more than enough. like i said the E6600 beat out the AM2 FX-62 (which is AMDs most powerful stock CPU), here are the benchmarks
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64/page12.html

there are more pages of benchmarks but it starts on page 12/18.

there ar ealready conroe compatible motherboards, but they arent built specifically for this line of processors.

that keyboard IS SICKKKKKKK!

what about the Core 2 Extreme X6800? that looks better, at 2.93, and even though i know ghz doesnt mean speed per se, it couldnt hurt, could it?

im splurgin on this one :D

-Phate

P.S. yeah, that keyboard kicks *** :D

u do NOT need an X6800 man, its a HUGE! waste of money. the POINT BEING the E6600 has the same Cache has the X6800, and can reach speeds of and above the X6800 on AIR cooling. AND the E6600 is better than the FX-62, AMDs most expensive CPU. so WHY, oh WHY get the X6800, put the rest of that $600 to something else useful.

ok, youve convinced me john :D

ok, so putting that extra 600 to a useful product, what about cooling, any crazy things i could get with that?

i know i dont need it, but maybe a refrigerated case, since it gets up to 100 degrees (farenheit) where i live (chicago) and my room gets awful hot in the summer

also, if i had a refrigerated case, i could look into OCing things..

but does anyone know about refrigerated? does it require some extra plumbing, like a water connection or something? or is there another equivelant of that that doesnt require rewiring my houses electric or water or anything?

so as of now here is my build:
Intel Core 2 E6600
either a 7950GTX or two SLI'd 7900 GTs, depending on what i have the money for
2gb patriot/corsair/OCZ ram
compatible motherboard
kickass case, hopefully one that comes with temperature reading systems, like this Aspire X-Dreamer (something like that) that i was looking at a while back, it had a temperature readout on the front of the case built in.
fairly basic hard drive
550+ watt PSU
one optical drive
one floppy drive
somewhere around a 20" monitor, flatscreen or box, whichevers cheaper
Optimus Keyboard (later purchase, until its out just a regular logitech or something, something that is cheap)
Razer Diamondback Mouse.

this look good?
think i can afford it?

i can always stretch beyond $2000, but it will take me longer to acrue the money.

so, what yall think of this build, got any sudgestions on specific parts (cases, ram, stuff like that), or got any changes? id be glad to hear em.

-Phate

P.S. im on this crap computer in Brazil, seems to be fairly old, the keyboard has a key right to the right of the Shift key (cutting its size down, which is why i noticed it) that says "turbo" in italic font... what could this be?

DUDE DO NOT SLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WASTE OF YOUR MONEY!!! buy 1, that is 1, one, uno, une, adzin, bir, 7900GT 512MB or 256MB. and keep the rest to get a G80 or R600 in a few months.

dude, do not refrigerate your case. lol. thsoe are just modificatins people do for either convenience or looks. if you want good cooling just get a Water cooling rig. but seeing as your knowledge is not up to the level required to set up water cooling, because of possible leaks and it will burn out all your parts which is not a good thing, if u really want watercooling, do research, read about it, learn, love it, live it!. lol.

if u dont wanna do all that or dont wanna do it just yet, because u only need water cooling to do some serious OCing. BTW the Conroe can OC past 3.0Ghz on air cooling, so just beware before u waste money. for air cooling, you should get a Zalman Aftermarket heatsink-fan. Arctic Silver 5 (its a thermal compound), um.....for good cooling you definitely want a Thermaltake Armor or Kandalf, it comes with 4 FANS! stock, and if u get the "super" version u get a huge exhaust fan on the side (or is it intake?) so thats 5 fans in total, then your heatsink fan, which makes it 6, and a fan on your 7900GT, and thats 7! fans. and then the ones on your PSU. thats a good 8 or 9, depending on the PSU. just make sure the placement of the fans provide good airflow.

Tips: intake should be as low as possible. and exhaust higher up. also try to keep the amoutn of intake and exhaust balanced, but if that one huge one on the side is exhaust it should take place of 2, lol.

EDIT: as for PSU, u'd just need a Antec TruePower 550watt

only get what you need, for example you dont need a 7900gtx and a conroe combo if you are going to play on a monitor with a 1280x1024 resolution or lower and use the extra cash you save on your girlfriend or family, because one day you might regret not spending enough times with the ppl you truly love, but until that day comes im still playing counterstrike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom