Computer Halts Win98. OK with Win95

Status
Not open for further replies.

redvoler

Beta member
Dear Help,

After Windows 98 boots up, and I try to actually use the computer, the screen goes blank - I assume the system freezes. (Numlock doesn't turn the Numlock light off.)

The hard drive has been reformatted, and Windows 98 re-installed. But still the same problem. In DOS, the machine runs forever. Likewise, with Windows 95 - However, I can't access the USB ports with Windows 95 (Can I?)

I know this is only a Celeron 600 machine (815 TX motherboard) but for word processing, e-mail and internet it has been a fine PC. I've just bought a new Dell for myself, and can't afford another PC for my wife when there's a nearly perfectly good one sat at the other end of my desk.

Recently I put a new heatsink fan onto the CPU, so I'm guessing there's a problem here. In order to install the fan, I had to take off the heatsink, and I used a small dollop of heatsink compound when I replaced it.

I have also tried disconnecting the CD, 2nd hard drive and the floppy disk, so I can hopefully say that the PSU is not to blame.

How can I diagnose the problem here?

Thanks.

Redvoler.

Since u say that u've just changed the heatsink ... I would tend to believe that it's a heat related problem.

In DOS just goto the rot directory n' type dir /s
See if the system locks up or somethin' like that ... Also have u monitored the temperatures of ur CPU n' Mobo?

CPU Temperature at bootup is 40 degrees C / 104 F
I'll install MBProbe and see what the temperatures are when running windows. Are they likely to be higher?

temperature

It's kind of like a car... if you just booted the PC up after it being off all night, it's going to be cooler at bootup then after it's been running for awhile in windows.

But if you temp is staying around 104 f, you don't have anything to worry about.

I had this problem years ago... the Video card drivers were the issue (monitor went out of range and thus went blank.)

Can you boot the PC in safe mode to get to the internet and update the video drivers to win98?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom