A way around NTFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

In Runtime
one of my hard disks decided it didnt want to start by istelf anymore, and now ive made it an external disk.

All of my files are on this drive, and are inaccessable because the drive is NTFS, and all the files are protected... is there a way to acces these files?, or they effectively protected from me untill i log onto the correct user, which in this case, doesnt exist anymore?

Select all files and folders, right click -> properties. There should be some kind of security tab, where you should enter your username and password and grant all permissions.

i dont see a tab like security, all i see is general, and customize, and in either of them, i cant see anyhting about security

Well, then I don't know. This is a known issue, you can find info on Google. Search for NTFS permissions or something.

to take ownership you must be a local admin.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

INTRODUCTION
This article describes how to take ownership of a file or a folder where you have been denied access.

If you must access a file or a folder that you do not have access to, you must take ownership of that file or folder. When you do this, you replace the security permissions to have access.

for 2000: HOW TO: Take Ownership of Files

You have to turn off simple file sharing in order to get the security tab..or as Eric mentioned in safe mode. NTFS is so easy to crack, but I guess its better than nothing ;-)

awsome... all good now... thx heaps guys, i was afraid i had lost all those files :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom