cleaning my lcd

Status
Not open for further replies.

realmike15

Baseband Member
looking for a safe way to clean my lcd, after reading a few articles about the water/isopropyl alcohol 50/50 solution, i went out and got the stuff.

i figured distilled water would be the best choice, but i couldn't find any at the local drug store, so i wasn't sure where else to look. i mixed the solution into a spray bottle, and using purified brita water instead. it cleans the lcd fairly nicely, but i still get the streeks i used to get with just plain water, but to less of a degree.

i'm wondering what i can do to get rid of the streeks, do i need to be using distilled water?

also, the cloth i'm using is just a soft t-shirt which i read was ok.

The official word on LCD cleaning in Apple manuals is to use a solution of diluted isopropyl alcohol, no more than a 50% solution. Usually the rubbing alcohol you buy at a drugstore that is either 90% or 98% pure but 98% is pretty hard to get (you don't need it anyway). I mix 1 part water and 1 part 90% isopropyl alcohol, which works out to... um.. something just under a 50% solution.
Be absolutely sure to use a very VERY soft cloth. I use a piece of soft flannel. Do NOT use paper towels or anything more abrasive than an old worn out cotton Tshirt. Absolutely do NOT use windex or anything with ammonia in it, it can etch the screen surface and can cause the plastic to go cloudy. You don't want that to happen!
BTW, there is a commercial cleaning solution called something like Klear-Screen, it's pretty expensive. It is merely a 50% solution of isopropyl alcohol and water.

Do you REALLY have to go out and by expensive products? surly theres household products you can use?
Ive only had to clean mine once and i did it with very soft toilet paper slightly damp, then went over it with a lint free cloth(ones like you get to clean your glasses lens) worked well and got all the little specs of the screen and no smeres!

massacreinfallx said:
or you could use water and a bathroom towel...
would have to be a very good quality towel then, as some well used ones are rough and i wouldnt put it anywhere near my screen!

jonny_uk said:
would have to be a very good quality towel then, as some well used ones are rough and i wouldnt put it anywhere near my screen!

true.

use a nice soft one or a regular paper towel has always worked with me

Trotter said:
I bought a pack of LCD wipes that work fine.

yeah or as he said, you could just buy LCD screen wipes, that are specially made for cleaning LCDS:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom