for a gaming PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
ok, so with a budget of lets say $2000 on the high side, give me some builds for truly great gaming PCs :D

what the computer will be used for:

World of Warcraft
America´s Army
Counterstrike Source
maybe a few RTSs

this is what i was thinking along the lines of:

Intel 3.0 ghz processor (or AMD equivelant, whichever you prefer :D)
2gb Patriot or Corsair ram
at least a 6600GT video card, preferably a 7900GTX
19" or more flatscreen or normal monitor
not too special hard drive, since it wont need much space.
one CD-ROM drive (for installing games, thats it)
maybe a fan controller?

-Phate

and what is the 'Conroe'??

i was more thinking along the lines of a custom-computer, with newegg links to every item, but hey, if this thing is good, im all ears :D

also, what do you think about a Falcon Northwest computer? are they good?

id get......
a thermaltake armor jr.
Intel Conroe E6600
2GB Corsair XMS2
eVGA 7900GT KO
Antec True power 550watt PSU

as for motherboards you will have to wait till mid august for alot of the better conroe ready mobos to come out

and just look aorund for the other things but for the basics thats a really high end system

Considering none of thsoe game are all that graphically demanding you could prolly get away wiht something a little under a 7900. I was about to say 2GB RAM is a little extenbsive until I noticed your budget and thefact that you play WoW. WoW eats RAM.

Just to answer his question, Conroe, or Core 2, is Intel's new line of processors. It's supposedly going to be one of the best when it's released.

I would reccomend 2gbs of RAM. I'm sure when new games come out, you'll want to try some of them. Better to get it now, than upgrade later.

I would probably wait for conroe aswell. I think it's coming out very soon. (Or is it out already?) The 7900GT is good, or you can splurge and go for the 7950. :)

yeah, i think ill wait for conroe, but just so i know, what is new with it? will it be like vista-capable speeds and such? and wont it be a lot more expensive? with all the trimmings, im kinda cuttin it close with 2 grand for a great pc, but hey, i can always spend my bday money and the money i have now, thus pushing it to about $2500...

and one other question.

about the 7950, dont that card have 2 GPUs?

and also, what about SLI video cards, or whatever the ones are called that let you put two video cards in, thus doubling the performance.

i was thinking: 2gb corsair ram | 2x 7900GT 512mb ram video card

thats 1gb GPU and 2gb ram, with a 3.0 or more ghz processor, what yall think? :D

and im not only going to be playing WoW, prolly will get the new unreal tournament soon, and some other FPSs... and other games that r fairly new that i feel like trying out :D

also, anyone got ideas for cheap but WoW-capable laptops? im gonna need one of those too, for trips :D

gonna have my truly kickASS computer at home, and one to game on trips thats not as good, but servicable :D

and i cant do a custom laptop, since i have no expertise in constructing those, its like building a UFO to me, but a desktop i can handle.

Yea the 7950 does have 2 GPUs. It's almost like having an SLI configuration, but cheaper. You can go with that or 2x7900gt. 2x 7900GT will probably give better performance.

Here is an article on Core 2. (Conroe)
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64/

The cheapest Core 2 duo is $183. Not a bad price. But I would prolly get the Core 2 Duo E6600, since it has an extra 2mb of cache. That model will be $316, still a good price.

That'll be one crazy system. Not just vista capable, but vista ready. Boy, I want that computer...

k answering your questions here. any new processor has enough speds for vista, the only problem is that , currently, vista is a ram hog and no matter how much you give it it will eat it up.

7950 GX2 is 2 graphics cards. but you dont want that. you hsould just get a 7900GT, and then wait for nvidias 8800GT/X and ATIs R600

u dont want sli, especially with your budget its a huge waste of money in general anywayz. you do NOT need a 3.0Ghz or more processor. people often think that raw speed is what increases your performance, but those arent the only factors affecting your performance.

if your gonna be playing UT 07 (like me) you will need 2GB ram. and you will want to get a conroe. the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600. there are other models. the ones below the E6600 have half the L2 Cache, which is bad. and the ones above the E6600 are just clocked higher, which means they were factory overclocked, and you'd just be wasting your money buying those, just get hte E6600, and read bout Overclocking and do it yourself.

if you want a kickin gaming laptop, you'll need more than $2000, and thats just the laptop alone, so i'd strongly go against buying a laptop for gaming. and making a custom laptop would not only be costly, but you cant do it, lol. thats why almost EVERYONE, except for like professional technicians (and even them), doesnt make a custom laptop.

ok, so u say to not go SLI? with a 2000 buck budget, i was thinkin full, but if that wont help enough to justify the cost, would a 7950 be a better idea?

and also, if im buying the top end of everything, max ram for windows XP, best video card on the market, why not also get the best processors on the market too?

i dont want to overclock since i dont wanna **** up the stuff, would much rather pay more to have someone do it for me :D

with the laptop, i dont want a laptop as good as my desktop, just want something that CAN run WoW with not the shittiest settings imaginable.

even a dell would be fine, just something that you can reccomend that will run WoW fine, thats not over 3000 dollars (this will be a later purchase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom