convert to ntfs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only assume that you are doing an upgrade to XP. It should do it automatically. Windows XP Pro only works under an NTFS file system.

ntfs

I was ask to use the search option before I ask a question like how do you convert xp pro fat32 to ntfs. my first reply said that xp pro will only run on ntfs. I know different because I upgraded windows me to xp pro and it never ask me if I wanted to convert to ntfs and it is running on fat32. I believe there are no silly questions because maybe somebody could learn something

Yes XP works with FAT32. To convert, do as microbell says. If you want to learn more about these format, you can also hit the help tab under the start button on your window.

hello i also have a question
i have a drive i want to convert in ntfs from fat32.the drive has already used memory.if i convert it to ntfs will it also format the disk drive?--->i lose everything i have in this drive?

samygero said:
hello i also have a question
i have a drive i want to convert in ntfs from fat32.the drive has already used memory.if i convert it to ntfs will it also format the disk drive?--->i lose everything i have in this drive?

No you won't lose any data. Open up command prompt

CONVERT drive: /fs:ntfs

Example the C: drive

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Example the D: drive

C:\> CONVERT D: /fs:ntfs

Now once you convert to NTFS there is no going back, if you want to go back to FAT32 you have to reformat which you will lose data.

thx for the fast reply.
I also would like to know something else.I have this laptop and i have partitionned the disk drive in two pieces.I put the programs in one partition and the data like movies and stuff in the other.
should i have the one in FAT32 and the other in NTFS?
and wich one.i m asking this because you surely know more in this than me.Thx again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom