First Time Overclocking..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna resurrect this thread now that I've overclocked my video card.

I used RivaTuner to do this and ended up with the following:

Core: running at 550 MHz (up from 500 MHz)
Memory: running at 1050 MHz (up from 1000 MHz)

I used 3DMark05 to benchmark. The new score (3572) ended up about 200 points above my baseline score. Now I can play Oblivion at 1024x728 resolution with AA = 4x with no problems whatsoever...which is good enough for me (until I get more money someday)

My question now is - has anyone else 'clocked a card like this much higher? I had the core at 570 MHz at one point, and I started seeing flashing green polygons in the game so I slowly brought it down to a safe level. The memory is safe where it is, but I'm sure I could go higher. I guess I'm just wondering how high people have gotten when doing this sort of thing...

Get your CPU more stable than that. Up the voltage a little bit in an effort to increase stability. You should be able to run prime95 for 8 hours with no problems.

Get your CPU more stable than that. Up the voltage a little bit in an effort to increase stability. You should be able to run prime95 for 8 hours with no problems.

Thanks for that...I upped the CPU voltage from 1.65 to 1.7 volts and it ran Prime95 for 7 hours 55 minutes first time the other night. Big improvement I'd say. Not sure if I need to go any higher, it seems to be stable at the moment.

Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon...

For dual channel, you first need dual-channel RAM, and the same brand, and the same batch.

For dual channel, you first need dual-channel RAM, and the same brand, and the same batch.
Wrong. You can buy a stick of ram and then later on buy another stick of the same ram and run it in dual-channel. It doesn't have to come in a kit to be dual channel. What determines dual-channel is actually the motherboard and the motherboards support for it.

reggie_da_man said:
Wrong. You can buy a stick of ram and then later on buy another stick of the same ram and run it in dual-channel. It doesn't have to come in a kit to be dual channel. What determines dual-channel is actually the motherboard and the motherboards support for it.

yes.. and i will back him up on this because i didnt buy my 2nd gig until about 3 or 4 months later.. and it is running in dual channel....

and 1.7 volts!! dear jesus... is that high or not?? i had my opteron at 1.7 and my temperatures were just insane!! are those 3200's supposed to be operating at that high??

reggie_da_man said:

Yep, I have a stick of Corsair and a stick of "whatever-Apple-puts-in-these" that are both DDR2-667 PC5300 in my MacBook Pro and they are running in dual-channel.

So I don't even think they need to be the same brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom