pci.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
Okay, so twice now I've installed Windows XP Pro, installed all the drivers and then restarted to see "Windows could not start because system32\something\pci.sys is missing or corrupt."

I haven't restarted the computer yet, and I am scared to. What do I do if I get this error when I restart? Is there a fix? Hopefully someone's seen this before. :(

Okay sorry for the triple post, but I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this:

I fixed the above problem, here's what I have: an IDE 40gb harddrive with WinXP on it right now. I also have an IDE 300GB harddrive. Now, I either need to copy everything from teh 40gb to the 300gb and use that (preferably) or I need to format the 300GB, and use it as like a second harddrive. But my problem is that I have no idea how to format a drive in Windows. :eek:

Someone care to help me?

Windows XP uses the NTFS file formatting system.

Is the 300GB hard drive formatted on NTFS? If so, then I don't think you'll need to format at all. It should work fine.

If it is not on NTFS, then I can't help you there. I'm on Windows 98 and the only way to format a hard drive on my computer is to boot it using a boot disk and reformat it manually with MS-DOS.

I'm sure other people here would know the proper method since most people here use Windows XP.

The General said:
Okay sorry for the triple post, but I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this:

I fixed the above problem, here's what I have: an IDE 40gb harddrive with WinXP on it right now. I also have an IDE 300GB harddrive. Now, I either need to copy everything from teh 40gb to the 300gb and use that (preferably) or I need to format the 300GB, and use it as like a second harddrive. But my problem is that I have no idea how to format a drive in Windows. :eek:

Someone care to help me?

It has to be formatted first to FAT32 or NTFS for Windows to detect it. Once you install the drive go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management-Disk Management. If the harddrive is not formatted it should say unallocated space, right click on it and select format, then select NTFS.

Okay thanks, but is there any way I can copy everything from this drive to the 300gb drive? In Linux it'd be a piece of cake, but like I said I know almost 0 about Windows.

Cause I just did a fresh install and decided I wanted more space for these games, lol. :eek:

I'll just leave it how it is. I have the OS on my 40gb HDD, and the I have an NTFS formatted 250gb SATA drive mounted as C:\Games I had no idea Windows would let you mount drives wherever you want! There's one less thing Linux has on Windows I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom