Higher Frequency vs. Lower Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperPyro

Beta member
Hey guys, I am building a new PC but am trying to keep it around $800. I already have some parts and am going to get Core 2 Duo E6600 and I think a D975XBXLKR (1Ghz bus speed) motherboard (I could only find like 2 to choose from that were not a 965 chipset, are there more somewhere that are better/cheaper?). But, as I am researching RAM, I have discovered that there are a LOT of options. I dont want to spend more than ~$150 if I can help it. So I found 2 possibilities. One has a higher bandwidth, while the other has lower latency, which is more important? I play graphics intensive games but don't do much video editing or anything, if it makes a difference.

They are only 5$ different from each other, so price is not an issue. If both of these are bad, please tell me what some good ones are or what to look for.

OCZ Dual Channel Gold 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
Memory CAS Latency: 5-5-5-10
More Details
and
OCZ EL Dual Channel 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Gold Memory
Memory CAS Latency: 4-4-4-8
More Details

Thank you for your help!

Higher frequency RAM will outperform lower latency RAM. It has a higher frequency so it can send information faster (I believe..) Lower latency RAM is better when comparing to other RAM with the same frequency. You can have RAM that has horrible timings but is 800 MHz and it will be better and faster than RAM with great, tight timings at 667 MHz. I say go for the 800 MHz RAM. Also you'll need 800 MHz RAM for the Core 2 Duo.

Now that I look at the RAM closer, definitely go for the DDR2800. It has pretty good timings for DDR2 and it will blow the DDR2667 out of the water.

Many opinions... Basicaly, it seems like there will not be that much of a difference between the two, but the higher frequency RAM will be able to transmit data faster and may have a slight advantage over the the slower, tight RAM. However on closer inspection, the motherboard i was thinking of getting, the D975XBX, says that
The D975XBXLKR provides 4 DIMM sockets using Dual Channel 240-pin DDR2 533/677Mhz Memory
so no 800Mhz there... I have to find another one, or buy the 667Mhz RAM.
D975XBX Specs
Also, i have read many different articles about motherboards(for Core 2) and have only found about 5 that don't suck. Like the D975XBX has to be made after April 2006 for it to support Core 2 Duo, but i don't know how to figure out if that is what I am getting.

I found the Asus P5B and the GIGABYTE 965P for about $150, a lot cheaper, support 800Mhz RAM, and they actually say they work with the Core 2 Duo, unlike the D975XBX that i have just read on another page.

I know i originally asked about the RAM, but now that I have that answered, i have got to ask about the mobo, do they seem well and compatable!?

Thanks for all your guys' help so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom