Trying to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

gan_nair

Solid State Member
I will just start out by saying that I know very little about computers and what they can actually do. I would like to learn more about computers, and be able to do things like program one, troubleshoot and fix one, etc. When I am interested in something, I like to learn everything I can about it so I know how to fix it, upgrade it, etc. myself. Its like a game to me.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone could give me names of some good books, or any advice on learning everything possible about computers.

A quick question though, everytime I look up my e-mail, or watch music videos from a website, it seems that my computer gets an error almost every time. I run windows 98, thats about all I know about my computer though. How can I look up what is going on so I know what is causing it, and how can I fix it.

Thanks, and please have patience with me, computers have never been my place of interest, until now. Thanks again.

General Troubleshooting Guide:

Clicky

Windows 95/98 Troubleshooting Guide:

Clicky

In regards to your error message you get, I will need more information.

If you can, copy the error message exactly how you see it.

The next time I receive the error I will be sure to write down what it says. Anything specific I need to look at or write down?

I'll give you a piece of advice...

Advice

Google is and will become your best friend if you truly want to learn computers.

ex: Troubleshooting, Windows 98, general computing... etc.

A nifty site is : www.howthingswork.com
It will give you a general view into everything you want.

gan_nair said:
The next time I receive the error I will be sure to write down what it says. Anything specific I need to look at or write down?

Whatever you were doing at the time and exactly what the error message says... thats pretty much it.

If you can grab a screen shot, that would help too, but it's not necessary.

Alright, after closing out of the internet, I recieved a warning saying that I performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. At the top of the window in the left hand corner was the windows symbol and cd player written beside it. Yes I was listening to my cd player while I was on the internet.

Then just now when I tried to get back on the internet, a window popped up saying, Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. It had this deal saying send report, I did, it said thanks. Guess I have a nice computer. Sorry, that was lame of me to say.

Anyways, after sending the report, it gave me a link to fix the problem, I went to it and up came the windows update screen saying that my problem was caused by not having updated my computer. I scanned for updates, and I had 26 critical updates and service packs. What the **** is this?

I still didnt allow it to update or download anything.

I think you should buy a copy of Windows XP and reformat. Win98 is way too outdated.

I was getting ready to do that actually, a friend of mine has the download disc, when I upgrade to that, will it take windows 98 out of my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom