RIMM vs. SDRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
I just got a mobo that has four banks for RIMM memory. I have 2x256mb and 2x128mb in it. I don't really know if there are any advantages to RIMM over sdram. Whats the difference and advantages (if any)

jaknlisa619 said:
I just got a mobo that has four banks for RIMM memory. I have 2x256mb and 2x128mb in it. I don't really know if there are any advantages to RIMM over sdram. Whats the difference and advantages (if any)
If your MOBO requires rambus, chances are, you won't be able to use sdram.

I know the difference that sdram won't fit rambus and vice versa but is rambus any better or worse or what. it doesn't seem too common like sdram is. all i do know is its more expensive. i priced 256 at about 80-90 bucks! why is it so expensive? cuz its better?!?

i lucked into 2x256 and 2x128 of it for free w/mobo, 1.5gh p4, vid card, case and 30gb hd. great brother-in-law, huh?

Rambus isn't as common these days. Depends on the speeds involved, but rambus is usually faster. Sdram will be around for a while longer, but rambus is becoming less and less seen.

RIMM is expensive because Hyundai sued them on the grounds of using their patent.

RIMM is extremely fast but can only work with 16-bit technology.

DDR (SDRAM) is slightly slower MHz but uses 64-bit technology.

16-bit = harder to find within the RAM (slows down seek time)
64-bit = easier to find (quicker than trying to find 16-bit pakcets)

When DDR was first introduced it was just slightly slower than RIMM (DDR266) but now there are DDR550+ searching for easier to find packets. DDR is faster now.

RIMM was first introduced to work with Intel processor's because Intel were "annoyed" about how processor technology was swiftly moving forward and how memory was not.

^^Good answer, I actually have a system that uses rambus now, for what it costs for a gig (2x512s), I'm just gonna swap out the mobo and put in ddr.

Dell put RDRAM into my machine, and now I want to shoot them. It's so frieken exprensive, and DDR is better, and cheaper.

I have heard that RDRAM is used in multi-processor servers a lot.

well, the mobo was free and so was the rimm. I'm just glad I don't have to buy more rimm for it. I'll probably end up selling the new system anyways. haha wanna buy it?

Back in the day with the PIII i820 and i840 chipsets, a converter could be plugged in for SDRAM to be used, though it did take a toll on system performance.

If you want a P4 processor with hyperthreading, RDRAM is the way to go (though unfortunately, the i850x chipset does not support 800 MHz FSB processors). Dual channel DDR still works just as well, however, if not better.

Due to its high latency, I myself don't see any point anymore in using Rambus in home machines - Creative Labs tried fitting Rambus on their 3D Blaster graphics card (Cirrus Logic CL-GD5464) in the past and it failed to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom