Chipset cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

OatesyX

In Runtime
I accidently knocked off the heatsnink of my chipset (northbridge i guess) cooler, it appears to have some sort of pad thats heat conductive between to chip and the heatsink, but when it came off the pad broke, would it be ok to use thermal pase instead, and would i ahve to use a thick coating or a thin coating

Get all the old stuff off (you can use rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth) and then go ahead and put on the amount of thermal paste recommended on the bottle/tube.

Dan

If there are no screws or springloaded hold downs and you use just thermal paste it won't stick you have to have thermal tape like turtile said.

thank you cuz im pretty sure i wont be ablt to get thermal tape, one thing though, i can actualy life the heatsink off the chip with my hand easily evenough though is fastened to the mobo with the metal pin ,.will that be a problem

that would be lift the heatsink , :) ,, im sorry for asking the same things repeadedly but i cant risk losing another motherboard over something like this

no that shouldn't be a problem, as long as it stays in place after it's been put on and the computer set upright (i'm supposing it sets upright) and if possible use Arctic Siler 5 but any old compound will work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom