Slow PC - Help, it's driving me mad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow PC

Ok, so now comes the nuisance bits. I've got myself another Windows XP Pro disc and have done an upgrade (to see if that works instead of a full reinstall).
I had a problem before with my keyboard. It's one I had with my old Compaq PC. I love this keyboard and decided to keep it to use with my next PC (the one I have now), along with the Compaq monitor. For some reason, after I had problems before with it, this 'new' PC doesn't like my keyboard and I couldn't use it unless I connected an old keyboard to the PC too, then it would work.
Now I have upgraded Windows XP Pro with the new disc the keyboard won't work, not even with the old one connected too. There is no light on the keyboard, I've checked the usb plug & it's plugged in properly. The old ps2 keyboard works fine. Any suggestions? I can't understand it because it was working ok before I did the upgrade, why won't it work now? :confused:

It's could be problem of missing (keyboard's) driver.

To check:
1. Right click on My Computer
2. Click on Manage
3. Click on Device Manager (on the left pane)
4. If there is a yellow question mark over/next to the keyboard's icon that means the keyboard's driver is needed. If so, right click on the word Keyboard, then click Update driver (or something along that line)

p..s. However, if you don't see any yellow question mark at Step 4 above, then it could be some other problem. For example it could be that particular USB port had malfunctioned. Try using other USB port.

Slow PC

Thanks for the reply Sevenor. There is no yellow question mark or exclamation against the keyboard drivers. It only lists the driver for the ps/2 keyboard I'm using now. The usb port is working as I have moved it to another one & put something else in that one, the other one I put it in didn't make it work either.
I don't know what to do. The keyboard didn't come with any drivers and I have never needed them before, I can't understand why it isn't working. :confused:

Sorry, I think I should have asked you to check whether there is also any yellow question mark next to the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Step 4 of my last post since, if I understand you correctly, you are using an USB-type keyboard, right?

If there is yellow question mark there, then it could be the cause of your problem. Especially if your new computer is using a PCI USB 2.0 card. But then again, most if not all new motherboards nowadays come with onboard USB 2.0 ports. Just want to make sure. So let me ask you: when you said 'new pc' did you mean a newly purchased pc or just another pc that you had just acquired, say from someone. I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask you.

BTW, you said that the old keyboard (which you love) had problem before - was it when used with the old Compaq pc? Or was it when used with your new pc?

Slow PC

Sorry, I haven't made myself very clear. I had a Compaq PC. When I changed to a new PC I kept the monitor & keyboard from the Compaq to use with my new PC.
They were working fine until I had problems with the new PC. For some reason the keyboard wouldn't work. After I had the PC repaired the keyboard still wouldn't work & the chap couldn't find out why. I discovered that if I plugged in an old PS/2 keyboard, the Compaq keyboard would work. So I had the old PS/2 keyboard constantly plugged in & hidden under my desk and used the Compaq keyboard happily for a long time. Since my PC has gone wrong this time the Compaq keyboard won't work at all, not even with the PS/2 one plugged in. So I am now using the old PS/2 one.
There are no yellow question marks or exclamation marks against the USB ports, they all say they are working properly. :(

Slow PC

My printer has stopped working again too. It keeps telling me it's offline when I try to print anything. I've checked all the cables & ports & they're all ok. I've uninstalled all the drivers & then tried to reinstall everything but it can't see the printer so won't complete installation. One minute it was working, then it wasn't!
Also, my scanner won't work anymore. The desktop icon suddenly changed to a blank window and when I click on it the message tells me it can't find an exe file. I didn't do anything to it, one minute it was ok then it wasn't.
I have been trying to avoid it but I think the time has come for a complete reinstall, don't you? I have such trouble setting my broadband up that I was trying to avoid the hassle but I think I just can't get away with it?? :mad:

From reading your last two posts, looks like there is something wrong with your OS. Either you do what is suggested by Warez Monster (see page 1 of your thread) or reinstall your OS from scratch. (Personally I would choose the latter path) If you choose the latter may I suggest that you also choose slow formatting over "quick format" to totally erase whatever that is causing you problem.

Slow PC

Thanks for that Sevenor. As a last ditch attempt I have followed the instructions of Warez Monster. I think you are right and it would be better to do a full install from scratch but I thought this may get me through the next couple of weeks until I have enough time to devote to having to re-load everything. Here is the Hijackthis log, hope you can make sense of it & let me know if there is anything to do:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 20:57:55, on 23/07/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\ntl\ntl Netguard\fws.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\ProcessActivityMonitor\paamsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqtgsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\IncrediMail\bin\IncMail.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IMApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\saIE.dll
O2 - BHO: Pop-Up Blocker BHO - {3C060EA2-E6A9-4E49-A530-D4657B8C449A} - C:\Program Files\ntl\ntl Netguard\pkR.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Form Filler BHO - {56071E0D-C61B-11D3-B41C-00E02927A304} - C:\Program Files\ntl\ntl Netguard\FBHR.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Acronis Popup Blocker - {E24AD748-155E-4254-B674-4EDF86E7E1DF} - C:\PROGRA~1\Acronis\PRIVAC~1\Blocker.dll
O3 - Toolbar: SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\saIE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Add animation to IncrediMail Style Box - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\resources\WebMenuImg.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Acronis Pop-up Blocker - {2E071ADC-ADF8-4b4b-8ACB-EDC49E6D45A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\Acronis\PRIVAC~1\Blocker.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Acronis Pop-up Blocker - {2E071ADC-ADF8-4b4b-8ACB-EDC49E6D45A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\Acronis\PRIVAC~1\Blocker.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {2AF5BD25-90C5-4EEC-88C5-B44DC2905D8B} (DownloadManager Control) - http://dlmanager.akamaitools.com.edgesuite.net/dlmanager/versions/activex/dlm-activex-2.0.4.4.cab
O16 - DPF: {4029B52D-5935-46B6-94F2-AB702CBE6646} (CAddressBook Object) - http://www.fillmycloset.co.uk/FAddressBook.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1153674075025
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1041659156619
O16 - DPF: {7F8C8173-AD80-4807-AA75-5672F22B4582} (ICSScanner Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotions/spywaredetector/ICSScanner37390.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {E7D2588A-7FB5-47DC-8830-832605661009} (Live Collaboration) - http://livenj01.rightnowtech.com/5570-b298h/rnl/java/RntX.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: BlueSoleil Hid Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Command Software Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Command Software\dvpapi.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: Radialpoint Service (FWS) - Radialpoint Inc. - C:\Program Files\ntl\ntl Netguard\fws.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Ahead Software AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Process Activity Monitor (paamsrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\ProcessActivityMonitor\paamsrv.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Sevenor said:
From reading your last two posts, looks like there is something wrong with your OS. Either you do what is suggested by Warez Monster (see page 1 of your thread) or reinstall your OS from scratch. (Personally I would choose the latter path) If you choose the latter may I suggest that you also choose slow formatting over "quick format" to totally erase whatever that is causing you problem.

the xp cd doesn't have a fast or slow format. they have a quick format and a format with checkdisc to check for errors. a lot of people think that it's writing zero's to the disc. it's not. powermax in my siganture can write 0's to the hdd

Jenonnet, you are not going to fix his problem until reformat. it only takes 15-60 minutes to do and you won't have anymore problems.

I would use the quick erase option on powermax 4 to make sure that you clean out any bootsector viruses, then install windows

make sure that you have your mobo driver cd or you can use this

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65989

suggestions for new install

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56137

Slow PC

Thanks for that EricB.
When my PC was repaired last time, it needed a new mobo as the other one had a hairline crack in it. The chap who repaired it didn't give me another disc with the new mobo, so I don't know if the old disc will suffice or whether I would need new drivers, so I followed the instructions in the link you gave me to get the drivers but it didn't put them in a hidden folder named olddrivers, so I don't know if I have them on my system or not now.
Not quite sure about moving the paging file as I don't understand what that is but I'll have a go at doing a complete install & see what happens.
I have two hard drives in my PC, one for the OS files, etc., & the other for my data which I keep in My Documents.
Hope it works! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom