MultiBoot Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
Hi chaps, I have win98, XP Home, and XP Pro triple booting on my second computer.

THe question is if I perform a repair install on the XP home OS will my MultiBoot goodness be screwed up?

I need to do the repair because javascript is completely nonfunctional. (unless anyone is a XP Javascript expert and can suggest something else).

Re:

Hello,

What browser are you using? Try re-installing your java software from here... http://www.java.com/en/ .

As for performing a repair on one of your XP partitions, it won't mess up your multiple boot configuration. However, if you do find that the boot loader fails to detect multiple operating systems, you can rectify it very easily in the Recovery Console using the bootcfg command.

No no its nothing to do with java or my browsers, the actual windows component javascript doesn't work.

The only reason I'm concerned about the multiboot scenario is that I set it up in a slightly unorthodox manner. I.e. I screwed it up and had to manually code a new bootsect.dos among other things..

Edit: although thinking about it I dont suppose I would run into a problem except perhaps if i was reinstalling win98 rather than xp home :confused: Hmmm

Well... Hmmmm...

XP msconfig / boot.ini won't fix it automatically for you?

I can't honestly say it won't mess up your boot.ini.

I'm not really worried about the boot.ini, thats childs play...

Well I guess theres only one way to find out :mad:

As a last shot I don't suppose anyone has any bright Ideas for fixing javascript?

I've run SFC and i've re-registered all the appropriate Dlls, i've checked that any relevant services are running. I've naturally reinstalled java and both my browsers about 2-3 times, but it seems the problem is with javascript itself which is built into windows..

Edit: i've tried reinstalling ms script too, kb917344.

Now, thinking about it its probably something i've done myself, originally I didn't have any decent antivirus on this PC so I put some rather strict settings inplace, i've probably disabled javascript somehow... Darn it, why must I always be Captain Overkill

ok lets do this before you repair the os...

Install AVG for the time being (if you are nervous about viruses for the moment)

If you have strict security policies on your IE browser, Default the policies and check to see if your Java issue still occurs.

If it does, then just repair it.

bradybnmci said:
ok lets do this before you repair the os...

Install AVG for the time being (if you are nervous about viruses for the moment)

If you have strict security policies on your IE browser, Default the policies and check to see if your Java issue still occurs.

If it does, then just repair it.

:p I had AVG on it previously, thats why I was concerned about security!! I have kaspersky 6 on it now (and Ewido/Adaware/spybot/hijackthis/spywareblaster/et al) Did I mention Captain overkill? :).

anyway I've had a good poke around and I can't see anything obvious, WHS is enabled and the .EXE is in place, I can't think what I might of done but you can bet it'll be a registry Key or something obscure. If it is though I wonder if a repair install will actually help?:confused:

The repair (if done correctly) should work for you.

Just make sure you don't hit the repair option until you reach the "Install Windows" section of the install...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom