Need some serious help! Virus or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerTech

Beta member
Hey guys,

First post ever! anyways, I have this problem here where bassically nothing on the desktop will open or respond in any way. If I click on "My Computer" for example, it just doesn't do anything, same goes for any folders and such. Here is where it gets complicated, when trying to get into "Control Pannel" it tells me: "Windows cannot create shortcut here, wanna place a shortcut on the desktop?" alright so it didn't say "wanna" but whatever still point being when I then create a shortcut on the desktop it looks like a unreadable file and just like alot of other desktops, "Internet Explorer" ect.

Also another problem a bit unusual. when trying to run "msconfig" I get this message: "This file does not have a program assoctiated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Pannel" One last random observation, when trying to get into "Disk Management", I get an error saying that there is a problem with the "Remote Access" feature which has nothing to do with anything

Btw, safemode doesnt' help either, windows repair = nothing. I'm thinking it may be a Virus/Spyware and some second opinions think the same. I just wanted some more imput so I'm asking all of you.

Thank you in advance.

Definitely sounds like a virus, donÂ’t you have any anti-virus running on your system. Hopefully if you can get us the name of the virus weÂ’ll see what we can do to get rid of it. Other then that a reformat would be a good idea and start out fresh again.

Sounds like even if you do find the name of the virus you won't be able to do anything to get rid of it.

If your desktop has no functionality, you will need to reformat the machine.

If you have anyway to download and install AVG, then do it.
If not, you can try to find a friend with a cd burner to burn a copy to a disk and install it from the disk.

I would recommend reformatting only because from the sound of it, the virus (or whatever it is) has hijacked your machine completely.

Thanks for the response,

Right now I'm going through a H.D. Test with Hiren 2.0 simply because I wanna make sure its fine. Either way, I just have it slaved right now and if it tests fine I'll be running something on it, AVG or whatever else to see if there is anything goin on. I'll definatly post if I find what exactly caused it.

Truth be told, i'm just a Techie myself and this customer's system is messed up lol. Thanks for the imput guys!

Follow these instructions carefully

Download ALL 10 programs and update if needed.

Ad Aware SE Personal Free

Ad-aware Messenger Service Plugin

Ad-Aware VX2 Cleaner Plugin

Spybot Search and Destroy Free

Windows Defender 2 Beta

HijackThis

Ewido

CCleaner

Cleanup!

Follow these steps

Delete the prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, this folder will come back on next reboot.

Go to Add/Remove programs and remove any offending programs such was weatherbug, search assistants, etc.

Delete all cookies and temporary internet files in the control panel, Internet Options.

Go to Start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, disable everything except your antivirus, Firewall, click apply, don¡¦t reboot yet.

Download Msconfig Cleanup below

Msconfig Cleanup

Run Msconfig Cleanup after you unchecked the items you were told to uncheck and recheck, click "Select All", then click "Clean up Selected", then click "Quit". Make sure your antivirus and firewall are not checked.

Now run each Spy ware program 1 by 1. Running all 3 at the same time will slow most systems down.

When each program has finished scanning, remove everything.

Now go to the recycle bin and delete everything that is in it.

Then run CCleaner „² make sure you run the Cleaner section of Windows and Applications and then the Registry Cleaner. Make a backup if you wish while running the Registry cleaner when it asks you.

When finished with the scans, reboot, and go into Safe Mode and run these scans again, remove everything they find, and then reboot back into Windows in normal mode.

Then run HiJackthis!

Save the log, copy and paste the log on www.techist.com
Do not attach the log, copy and paste always. This will make things go much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom