seperating process from heat sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmorast

Beta member
I recently purchased a new motherboard and want to use my original processor, but it is stuck to the heat sync and I would like to know if anybody has a recommened way of seperating the processor because I don't think it can be installed properly by just pushing it back onto the motherboard.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Jay

i wouldnt really suggest taking a hair dryer to a cpu, i mean if he leaves it there for to long he will ruin his chip.

you can pry it off with a tiny screw driver, like the small ones you find in many computer tool kits or eye glass kits, you wont break the chip cuz the silver compound will give way before chip breaks, ive done it many times on the dell systems at the school i work for. if you really concerned about breaking the chip, plug the computer up and run the chip for a few min to heat up the silver and then power down and it should be loose enough to pull off.

Re:

Hello,

What's between the CPU and the heatsink...a thermal pad, thermal compound, or thermal adhesive?

Thanks for all your help!

I was able to pop the processor off the heatsink much easier than I thought. As soon as I slightly pushed on the adhesive, the processor just popped right off.

To answer Alvin's question, I don't know how to tell what's been used between the processor and the heatsink. If I had to guess, I would say a thermal pad was used only because there is a cross-hatch pattern which would appear to be from some type of pad.

Now that I have re-installed the same processor and heatsink, should I re-apply some type of adhesive? Or will the processor heat up and reseal itself to the heatsink using the old adhesive/pad?

I know these may sound like dumb questions, but this is my first time dealing with motherboards and processors.

I really appreciate the responses to my post.

Thanks,

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom