OS copy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
Ok I was just wondering if this would work. I have 2 hard drives. 1 is a crappy little 20 gb drive that came with my computer. The other is a WD 80 gb drive that I have all my games and programs on. The 20 gb drive is the master drive with the OS and some other random programs.

So, I know that if you reinstall Windows you have to reinstall all your games and such because it erases all of those logs.

I am planning on building a new computer and want to ask this in advance while I am thinking about it. I am either going to get a new HD and use my current 80gb as the 2nd drive, or I may just use the 80 gb as my main drive. I dont want to have to reinstall all of my programs from my 2nd drive. So here is the question:

Would it be possible to simply copy/paste all the windows things from my 20gb drive to the 80gb drive and then not have to reinstall all of my programs? Would that work?

I hope it is clear what I am trying to say here.

yea.. it easy I did it for several ppl.

With new HD there should soft to do this.. If not download it and put on CD.

so all I have to do is copy and paste the Windows folder from my small HD to the big one, right?

and as for transferring it I to a brand new HD I have a 20 gb mp3 player that I can put files on so I can just put them on there then transfer them to the new HD

What you should do is get a Drive Duplicator... Partition your 80GB Harddrive into 20GB and a 60GB partitions, get something like HDClone, G4U , PC INSPECTOR clone maxx, or XXCOPY. Then copy your 20GB to your 20GB Partition. It should work. But, then again, I'm not too sure on this and I hold no reliablity.

Edit: Make sure you put all the programs on your 80GB harddrive onto your 60GB Partition once you are done with the partitions.

^ why use a drive duplicator?

thats going to copy all the settings from the old system (including the componenet settings whichhave changed.)

What you need to get is a program mover. Acronis should have one, and look for program relocator, program mover, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom